Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:10 PM   #1

Default Capture NX2

Has anyone had any experience with Capture NX2 from Nikon... Ive read a bit about it and it sounds like this editing software works better with Nikon cameras,

I would appreciate any personal experience from those wishing to share.

Patti
willow37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:02 PM   #2

I have tried to use nx2 for a year. it has so many bugs that i could do little work on my intel mac. a version recently, 2.2.4, for mac shows no improvement with crashes after a few edits each time i use it. It is a loser with great promise, at least with macs and snow leopard (10.6.2)

Last edited by vinsolo; Jan 20, 2010 at 2:03 PM. Reason: misspelled word
vinsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:09 PM   #3

I should add that the raw converter part of NX2 for nikon NEFs is superb. Better than other converters for NEF files but the software, by NIK software (not NIKON) is so crash prone as to be unusable. This is all the more remarkable because NIK software makes several applications which are superb. Nikon is unresponsive.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:13 PM   #4

From Thom Hogan on his website today:
Nikon Capture 2.2.4
Jan 20 (news plus commentary)--Nikon has finally released the Snow Leopard compatible version of Capture NX2, almost five months after Snow Leopard final discs were shipped to users and approximately 17 months after first releases were given to developers.

Nikon still has a lot to do to clean up its software act. I'm moving to a new computer (which runs Snow Leopard), so I'm installing things from scratch. Like many Nikon updates, this requires that you do a two-fer: first install Capture 2.2.0, then the Capture 2.2.4 update. Guess what? If you download both to your desktop and open the DMG files, they look identical! There's no visual indicator in the DMG itself as to which version is being installed, so you don't know which one is the 2.2.0 that needs to be installed first. Moreover, when I do install 2.2.0 followed by 2.2.4 I get a Nikon Message Center dialog that says that "a new version of your Nikon software [is] available" (yes, even after 2.2.4 was installed). Clicking Get Update starts a download, the update partially loads, then eventually you get a "Could not download the software update. Please try again later."

This is the sort of confidence killing detail that Nikon continually manages to get wrong with their software. Not that any other camera maker has all that inspiring software--I've encountered clear bugs and problems with Canon, Panasonic, and Olympus-supplied software, too. But Nikon is charging for their software, and not low prices, either.

We users of Nikon software deserve both more timely product updating and more attention to detail.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:38 PM   #5

Default Capture nx2

Wow thanks for telling me that the little video they show online about how easy it is to use, had me impressed as well as the few things i had read online. i appreciate your open honesty.

Thank you
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:00 PM   #6

Go with aperture or lightloom for editing for the Mac. I find the aperture is very easy to use. Have not used lightloom, but many like it.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:22 AM   #7

Default capture

Actually that poses a problem i dont have a mac .. I have windows vista. will it still work on that....?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow37 View Post
Actually that poses a problem i dont have a mac .. I have windows vista. will it still work on that....?
photoshop lightloom should, and it is a way better program the the software form nikon.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:00 AM   #9

I use NX2..version 2.2.4 on Vista and have no problems with it running. Versions before 2.2.4 I had some problems crashing and etc.
I use NX2 for 99% of my PP...its fast an easy but like any software there is a learning curve to get reallly good at using it to the fullest. I use gimp the other 1% if got some major cloning or want to play around doing OOB.
Myself-I'm sold on it and cant see changing to any thing else for my primary PP.