Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:56 PM   #1

Default Automatic Image Size Reduction

I've got a gallery of maybe several hundred photos, which all together take up about a gig of disk space.

Is it possible to have Photoshop 7 automatically re-size any image over 800 pixels wide, or 600 pixels high, down to those limits?
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:21 AM   #2

Default Re: Automatic Image Size Reduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemyers
Is it possible to have Photoshop 7 automatically re-size any image over 800 pixels wide, or 600 pixels high, down to those limits?
I don't know about PS7, but it's a quick & easy job for the batch processing facility in Irfanview (www.irfanview.com), and it's free. It's a similar requirement to resizing a batch of pictures for display on a web site. I find it advisable to add a little sharpening as well, but you can do this at the same time.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 7:24 AM   #3

Thanks; will download that later today and try it out.

You sure it can do what I asked? Can it decide if any images are over 800 pixels wide, OR 600 pixels high, select the images accordingly, and automatically re-size them?

Yes, I'd like to also add a little sharpening. Might as well do that at the same time if I can. This is to let people see the images over the web, and I figure those limits (600 and 800) will work for the highest percentage of people that might want to look at the image gallery. The software I use would work for larger images too, but taking up 1 gig on the server is asking a lot.... it doesn't have all that much space on it as things are.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 8:08 AM   #4

Quote:
This is to let people see the images over the web, and I figure those limits (600 and 800) will work for the highest percentage of people that might want to look at the image gallery.
600x450 is better for most web users.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 1:32 AM   #5

I've downloaded the program, and I can already see that it can do a lot of useful things. The question I had though, was whether it can make a "choice" type evaluation. Using your numbers, can I tell the program to look at all the images in the directory, and have it process them such that no images will be wider than 650 pixels, and no images will be higher than 450?

If not, I'll sort out the horizontal images from the vertical, and do two sorts. But if it's smart enough to do the choice thing, that would be nice.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 3:56 AM   #6

Quote:
can I tell the program to look at all the images in the directory, and have it process them such that no images will be wider than 650 pixels, and no images will be higher than 450?
I don't think so. However, you could quickly & easily resize the lot to a height of 450 in one folder, to a width of 650 in another, and then choose the ones you wanted by moving them to a third folder.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 7:09 AM   #7

Quote:
... If not, I'll sort out the horizontal images from the vertical, and do two sorts. But if it's smart enough to do the choice thing, that would be nice.
Take a look at EXIF Viewer (http://home.pacbell.net/michal_k/ - freeware). That allows you to sort your images by orientation to make that easier - assuming your camera stores that data. Much easier than looking at each one.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 11:21 AM   #8

Bill, why would it matter if the camera stored that information? The real "test" is to determine which is greater, the height or the width. Besides, the picture might have started out horizontal, but I might have cropped it into something vertical.

Can EXIF Viewer do it by physical size, rather than something the camera might have recorded along with the picture?

Alan, I'll be trying your idea later today. I'd like to get the pictures up in a gallery where people can see them, and taking up one gig is probably way too much. If anyone really wants the full-size image, I'll mail it to them or send them a CD.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 8:43 PM   #9
lg

I use a utility that comes with Digital Photo Slide Show to do batch resizing of all files in a given subdirectory, and output them to a chosen different subdirectory. If you choose, for example, 800x600, all photos will be resized to the maximum size that fits in that range - none wider than 800 and none taller than 600 pixels. If your pictures were taken in landscape mode, they will be exactly 800 pixels wide; those taken in portrait mode will be exactly 600 pixels tall. The lesser dimension depends upon the aspect ratio of your camera (or of the edited pic after cropping). For my 1600x1200 pics taken in landscape mode, they will all be resized to exactly 800x600; The same sized portrait pics will end up with a final dimension of 450x600.

All pics in the subdirectory will be resized; unless you pre-sort your pics according to EXIF info as Bill suggested, I am not aware of any program that will do that for you. I hope this helps!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 9:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Bill, why would it matter if the camera stored that information? The real "test" is to determine which is greater, the height or the width. Besides, the picture might have started out horizontal, but I might have cropped it into something vertical. ...
If you have cropped a lanscape format into protrait, it not only wouldn't help, it would do it exactly wrong. That is if your photo editing even kept the EXIF data intact.

So my suggestion wouldn't work for you at all. It could be done with fairly minimal formula manipulation in Excel to produce a DOS BATch file based on the heightxwidth size data. If you are fairly adept with Excel and have at least a bit of knowledge of DOS, I can tell you how to do it.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote