Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:37 PM   #1

Default Help, newbe here

I am just getting started in this new big world and need some help. I do have an old Microsoft editing/library tool, but it is about 8 years old now. I am just about to buy a Canon T1i and would like the option of using the RAW capability as well as more up to date editing tools. I would like to keep the cost down, what are my options if I say under $200 and what to I gain over a a 99 dollar corel set up? Ok I have my Kevlar on, Go!
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the first thing i would do is take advantage of the free trials. to see what software you like best.

Adobe is running an open beta for Lightroom 3, free through April.
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/

that would be a great way to try out lightroom and see if it fits your needs. it combines a nice image management system with nearly all of the tools anyone would need for editing pictures. curves, cloning, crop, tons of presets, mono conversions etc.

photoshop elements is always a great choice as it will do nearly everything most photographers would want to do the same as CS4 and is relatively cheap.

it looks like Corel has just did a pretty substantial update to Paint Shop Photo Pro X3, which may be another option, though I only have used Adobe products personally.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:56 PM   #3

I am still using Ulead Photoimpact for editing, and either Rawshooter or Raw Therapee for raw conversion. I have had some experience with Paint Shop Pro, MS Picture It, Irfanview, Photoshop Elements, and a couple others. As Corel bought out Ulead, I will probably give a really hard look at PSP when it becomes time to update.
I find the controls more intuitive, and the names of them make more sense to me than what Adobe has come up with. OTOH, for someone just starting out, there are a lot more resources available for Photoshop users than anything else.
For my needs, even what I have has more capabilities than I'll ever use, so I haven't even considered taking on Photoshop.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote