Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:53 PM   #1

Default File RE-Sizing with Silky Pix - Help, Please

I just started using SilkyPix, along with an FZ35... I can't figure out how to get the file size down to this Forum's File Size Requirements. After resizing to 1024x768 they are below a megabyte at around 600k, but obviously still too big. Help, please?
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2010, 9:14 AM   #2

Not familiar with Silkypix, but most photo editors have a quality adjustment available if you use 'save as' or 'save for web'. Some allow you to save to a specific file size as well. IIRC, if you upload an oversized photo to this site, the site software will downsize it automatically, though image quality may suffer.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 9:20 AM   #3
Administrator

I don't use SilkyPix. But, chances are, you'll find a JPEG Quality setting somewhere in it's available options. I'd try it around around 80% and see if that lets you stay under the limits when you save a file as JPEG for posting.

If not, resize using something like the free Irfanview instead. You'll see a JPEG quality slider come up when you use the Image>Resize choice and save your files (making sure to select JPEG as the file type).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 10:00 AM   #4

Thank you!
Admittedly, I saw the slider in Silky' but was avoiding that because I thought it would diminish quality too much--and Heaven knows this rookie needs all the help he can get--but maybe there's no way around it, as either way the image size needs to come down.

Sorry for the basic question - next time I'll be a little more aggressive and just double check to make sure I'm not overwriting original files.
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote