Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:28 PM   #1

Default Pictures lost after burning to DVD

Hello,
I have a Sony H50 digital camera. I transferred the files to a friends PC and he burnt a DVD-R for me. I then deleted the files off my card. When I returned home, the files on the DVD would not display either as thumbnails, or in several Image Programs I tried (Photoshop CS4, IE, Ö). When I check the file properties, nothing shows up. When I use Sonyís Picture Motion browser (PMB) to display the files, nothing show sup, except for the date, time information, which was correct. The ISO, shutter, speed, etc is blank. I downloaded a hex editor and used that to display the file contents. Everything was 00 (hex), including all the bytes at the start of the file. Iím not sure how the date/time was correct in PMB. The thing that Iím most interested in recovering is the picture, date and time information. The rest (ISO, shutter speed, etc) Iím not concerned about if it is lost. Iím puzzled as to why the whole file is 00s. Is there a way to recover the picture or does all 00s mean all is lost? The date/time I can manually pull out of PMB. Unfortunately my friend is away on business for a few days so I havenít yet asked him to check whether the files he has on his PC are the same too. If they are still intact there, that would be the best way to get them back
Thanks for your help
dsouzaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:35 PM   #2

If you have not written anything over the card yet, don't. You should be able to use recovery software to get your pictures back. There are several threads in the memory cards forum on this. Several free recovery programs do a pretty good job.
I have used PC Inspector to recover files from CF cards and hard drives as well.
When you delete files, all it is actually doing is removing the file allocation information, but doesn't overwrite the data.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:20 PM   #3

Default Pictures lost after burning to DVD

I took about 35 pictures and 4 video clips after I deleted the original pictures. So I guess some of the previous pictures could be gone. But I will try PC Inspector as you suggested. Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2010, 3:16 AM   #4
Administrator

Here's a sticky thread on the subject:

Recovering Images or Video from Memory Cards
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:00 AM   #5

Do exactly what the thread tells you to do. Jim C is a master at writing about this subject and has helped a lot of people recover a lot of images.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:17 PM   #6

Try taking the DVD back to the friend who burnt it: sometimes the machine that wrote it can read it when no other can read it. Then might be able to figure out how to write a copy that you can read, or put them onto a USB thumb drive for you.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 5:58 AM   #7
Administrator

Bill has a point. I'd see if the disk works on your friend's PC.

Also, just because your HEX editor is showing empty files doesn't mean you're looking at the actual files either, as your operating system could be misinterpreting the file system structure (or it didn't get updated properly as the files were being written), and is going to the wrong place on the disk to read them.

Note that you can also use programs like photorec (see the sticky thread I linked to) on CD or DVD type media, and it can ignore the underlying file system entirely. So, you may also want to try it with that DVD.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 6:32 PM   #8

I first did what VTphotog suggested and used PC Inspector. Using that I was able to recover 50 out of 110 picture files and 1 out of 5 video clips from the Sony memory card. It said the rest were bad. I guess the pictures/video I took after doing the delete from the Sony card must have overwritten those.
I will next try what JimC & BillDrew suggested and see if that helps more. Thanks.