Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 18, 2010, 4:33 PM   #1

Default PSE as Default viewer

I'd like to learn how to set Photoshop Elements 7 as my default viewer. I'm running Vista.

I do not want to open each file by right clicking on it. I want PSE to be my default viewer and organizer.

I tried going to Run - Default, but PSE doesn't appear as an default option.

It would be great if the solution did not include me going into RegEdit... messing with the registry scares me a bit.

Thanks!!
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2010, 1:11 AM   #2

Hiya, I have Vista, did you "right click" a photo, select "open with" then look to the bottom and choose "choose default programme"?
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 7:14 PM   #3

Thansk for the reply.

I'll try to be a bit clearer on what I'm trying to accomplish.

If I'm using Windows Live Photo, I can edit a photo, save my changes and then just hit the arrow button and my current photo closes and the next photo opens.

If I'm using PSE, once I change a photo, I can't just hit the arrow button. I have to go back to the folder and right click on the the next photo. But I have to remember which photo I just opened and closed.

So I want PSE to be my default viewer so I can by pass those steps. Plus, I don't want to use any photo package other than PSE for my jpeg stuff. So I'm trying to eliminate stuff. I think I'll be doing my self a favor is I can find a way to just have PSE as my default photo program.

Thanks!!
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 1:49 AM   #4

Hiya, I just thought the info I gave would allow PSE to be your default viewer, etc., once you select it. That way every time you click on a photo, PSE will be in use.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:47 PM   #5

I still use XP, so am not sure how to do it in Vista, but I think you have the same options, just a different way of getting to them. It can be done in windows Explorer, but, I think a simpler way is also available from PSE. Under 'File' menu there should be either 'Options' or 'Preferences' selection. Submenu should have 'File Associations', and a list of file types. Select from that menu.
IIRC, PSE has both an editor only mode, and a browser. If you want to use it in the same way as Live Photo, you may need to make the selection from the browser window.
Personally, I did away with the PSE browser, as the organizer part would use up a lot of memory and processor resources, constantly scanning for new image files.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote