Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:26 AM   #21
Administrator

That seems extremely unlikely, especially since Linux is not very prone to malware issues, and a Debian based linux distro is not going to be trying to modify any of your Windows systems files anyway (it doesn't need them for anything, as you're not using Windows at all when running that way, and it doesn't care what files are there for any reason).

My guess is that something may have gone wrong the last time you were in Windows prior to rebooting back into it after using the thumb drive with Kdenlive.

What kind of symptoms did you have? The only thing I gathered is that your wireless wasn't working. That something like Windows explorer didn't recognize the thumb drive size properly would be expected (since you're overwriting the file system on it when you install the image file they provide, including the master boot record area).

Are you using a USB wireless adapter? Sometimes, you can have conflicts when other USB devices are plugged in, and Windows would not recognize a non-Windows file system. But, unplugging the thumb drive and rebooting should solve that issue if it was causing a conflict of some type. That would be very unusual though.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
That seems extremely unlikely, especially since Linux is not very prone to malware issues, and a Debian based linux distro is not going to be trying to modify any of your Windows systems files anyway (it doesn't need them for anything, as you're not using Windows at all when running that way, and it doesn't care what files are there for any reason).

My guess is that something may have gone wrong the last time you were in Windows prior to rebooting back into it after using the thumb drive with Kdenlive.

What kind of symptoms did you have? The only thing I gathered is that your wireless wasn't working. That something like Windows explorer didn't recognize the thumb drive size properly would be expected (since you're overwriting the file system on it when you install the image file they provide, including the master boot record area).

Are you using a USB wireless adapter? Sometimes, you can have conflicts when other USB devices are plugged in, and Windows would not recognize a non-Windows file system. But, unplugging the thumb drive and rebooting should solve that issue if it was causing a conflict of some type. That would be very unusual though.
It was wired at the time, I had not yet received my router, or laptop. My desktop hard drive is starting to chirp, click, it may be loosing stability. I'm going to upgrade the hard drive to a 320gb soon.
MeGaPixEliT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:55 PM   #23
Administrator

I'd just use VirtualBox until you're comfortable with how Linux distros work.

It installs just like any other Windows application. Get it here:

http://www.virtualbox.org/

Then, all you have to do is start it and select "new", and fill out the wizard screens and point it at the .iso file you download for the operating system you want to load. For example, I gave Mepis 8.5 RC3 512MB of memory in this example, pointing VirtualBox towards the .iso file for it. You can get the Mepis 8.5 RC3 .iso from the link in this press release.

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05959

Then, just point VirtualBox towards the downloaded .iso file, selecting Debian as the Linux distro type. Kdenlive is preinstalled. Click for larger image of Virtual Box running under Windows 7 with Mepis 8.5 RC3 as a guest operating system:

It already has Kdenlive installed. So, you'll find it in the menus. Using VirtualBox allows you to run a different operating system in a window. Then, you could just start Kdenlive as desired. Click for larger image:

Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:36 PM   #24

Neat, I may give it a try. Is that your desktop? if so you have a lot of icons lol

Did you see my new post under this one? I have the program that I so love, Well I love powerdirector 8 ultra, but cant afford it, but my new laptop has powerdirector de ver 7, which is the version under 8 ultra. It has everything I need, and I know how to use it good, from useing the trial of ver 8 ultra. But the one I have, when I import a video from my camera AVCHD lite, it says dolby digital not supported. But the video imports, just no sound. Do you have any idea of a program that will convert it, and transform the audio to something power director 7 can understand?

I found a solution.

Last edited by MeGaPixEliT; Mar 24, 2010 at 11:19 PM.
MeGaPixEliT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:36 PM   #25
Administrator

One of many. ;-)

My PCs are setup as multi-boot so I can select the operating system I want to boot into when I restart them. Those are screen captures from a Win 7 desktop.

You may also want to take a look at Linux Mint 8 (see my first post in this thread for links to it, along with a review). Here's a link to that post:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ed...ml#post1068682

I've attached a screen capture showing what Linux Mint 8 looks like running in Sun VirtualBox under Windows 7 (and note that with the Mint 8 screen you'll see, I have VirtualBox extensions installed to allow shared folders, resizing of the Window as desired with resolution automatically changing to match, and I also have 3D Video Acceleration turned on. So, make sure to install what are referred to as "Guest Extensions" after installing a new Operating System in a VM under VirtualBox if you want more features, and you'll also get "seamless" mouse integration (without using the CTRL key to switch between them), allowing copying and pasting between the host and guest operating systems, and more.

After you install a Linux distro like Mint 8 to a Virtual Hard Drive (using the install icon you'll find on the distro's desktop), you'll need to issue a couple of commands from a terminal window to install the Virtual Box extensions if you want better usability (but, it's very simple and you only need to do it once to get all of the extra features). Those extensions can also be installed in distros like Mepis 8.5 (so you can easily resize it to higher screen resolutions, share folders, etc.).

I don't see Kdenlive in the Linux Mint 8 Sound and Video menus. But, you can select the Package Manager Menu choice and quickly search for it and install it with a mouse click or two. Here's that menu choice (click on the image for a larger version):

After you select "Package Manager" from the menus, just search for the software you're looking for (there are thousands of popular linux software packages to choose from). Then, after you search for it, just right click on it and select "Mark for Installation". When you click the "Apply button" you'll see after you select the desired software packages, the checked software will be installed and added to your menus. Here's what the results of a search for Kdenlive would look like. Click on the image for a larger version.

But, note that SimplyMEPIS 8.5 has a newer 0.7.7 version of Kdenlive already installed. SimplyMEPIS 8.5 Final (currently at Release Candidate 3, which will be the last Release Candidate before the production release) should be available within the next few days from what Warren (the developer) posted on Twitter. You'll see that in the Twitter feed you'll find on the right side of the main page here:

http://www.mepis.org

I'd install both (SimplyMEPIS 8.5 and Linux Mint 8). I've got both installed right now.

You can install as many Virtual Machines as desired and start and stop them as desired (only using memory for the ones you have currently running). By default, Virtualbox assigns 8GB of disk space to each virtual machine, and a relatively low amount of memory (I usually increase it to 512MB per VM, even though most Linux distros run fine in less memory). But, the disk space is dynamic (and doesn't need any more than you actually use on a virtual machine's virtual disk drive, even if you assign 8GB or more as the max). VirtualBox just stores a file for each Virtual Machine and Drive you create, making it easy to maintain them, without partitioning any real disk drives (it just emulates real PCs and drives instead).

You can use sliders in Virtual Box to adjust each Virtual Machine for more or less maximum disk space as desired. Ditto for things like amount of RAM assigned, amount of Video Memory assigned, 2D or 3D video acceleration on/off, number of virtual processors assigned to optimize performance for multi-threaded operating systems and applications (as it can emulate multiple CPU core machines), direct access to physical USB devices if desired, and more.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:42 PM   #26

Default Avchd

Megapix, there is always the Photofun Studio (comes with the camera) or Sony which also uses AVCHD. This is not an endorsement (I haven't tried it), but Sony also has software for AVCHD which is for both 32 bit and 64 bit computers. I beleive that Sony is the only other manufacturer that uses AVCHD at this point.
snickersbar is offline   Reply With Quote