Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 1, 2003, 2:01 AM   #1

Default Tablet choice?

Greetings all.

Iv'e convinced myself that i should have a tablet, i find from trawling about that there is Wacom and quite a few others but with similar specs the Wacom is about twice the price of the others ..... Does any one know what one gets for double the dollars, in fact is there any advantage in choosing the Wacom. The one which appealsat this stage is the Wacom Intuos 2 6x8.
i"d be gratefull for any advice.
Regards
Malcolm
Callum Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2003, 7:42 PM   #2

6 X 8 is a good size IMO. I recently upgraded to a 9 X 12 for dual screens but it is bulky.

My old 6 X 8 was a Calcomp and I was happy with it. The new tablet is a Wacom Intuos2. Someone I trusted on another board was selling it and I felt it was a good buy. It is a nice tablet.

There is a 6 X 8 tablet made by Aipek called a Hyperpen that some people over on dpreview were happy with. It is less than half the price of a comparable Intuos. I donít like that the cordless mouse doesnít have a wheel.

I find the accurate positioning is more important in Photoshop than the pressure sensitivity and angled stroke capability. That is important if you are drawing but not for technical stuff, and Iím not much of an artist. So I donít get full benefit from the extra features and pressure sensitivity of the Wacom. For subtle things I find I get better consistency by turning off the pressure and using multiple layers with a big brush at a very low flow setting.

But for detail work a tablet is great. And if you are an artist it is essential. But artists like bigger tablets. And the Wacom is excellent Ė you get what you pay for.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2003, 10:50 PM   #3

As slipe says, it depends on what you are using it for. I find the pressure sensitivity to be very usefull for "feathering" masks in PhotoShop. For that the smallest/cheapest Wacom serves me very well. If I was doing art, or had dual monitors, likely the small size would drive me nuts.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2003, 2:31 PM   #4

I have a 6 x 8 Wacom, and if it ever dies of old age, I'll buy another to replace it within the moment. I bought only the tablet and the pen, using my regular mouse for all other activities until I very nearly was disabled by a case of tendonitis in my wrist. I now use the tablet for everything.

I had another tablet from a different company prior to this one, and it just didn't have the sensitivity and precision of the Wacom.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 12:28 AM   #5

This was several years ago, but it could be useful.

I did some research on an NIH grant some years back. We tested kids handwriting on graphics tablets. So we purchased several tables, including one from Wacom, and tested them. We found it to be superior to all the others. Straight lines were consistantly straight, it was very precise both on and above the tablet (we used a magnetic pen that it could detect above the tablet.) I would highly recommend them.

Maybe other brands have caught up? I don't know. But I would seriously consider the Wacom if I were you.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 2:47 AM   #6

Hello again All.
I've bitten the bullet and plumped for the Intuos 2, many thanks for the advice.
Regards
Malcolm
Callum Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 3:08 PM   #7

I just purchased a Medion 9x12 tablet at Aldi's for 39.95. That's a heck of a price.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 3:21 PM   #8

I thought Aldi's was primarily a food market. I have one not far from me and I've never gone in because of this assumption. Stupid me.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote