Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:23 AM   #1

Default Canon ZoomBrowser Will Not Install on a Netbook

I recently acquired an Acer eMachines Netbook running Windows 7 Starter. I tried installing Canon's ZoomBrowser but the application would not install.

I got a message screen stating that the application needed a screen resolution of at least 1024x768. The Acer has a resolution of only 1024x600.

Would anyone know if there is a way to install even on a lower resolution netbook?

Thanks a lot.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:59 AM   #2

Don't know for Acer, but at Asus eeePC I just switched screen resolution from 1024x600 to virtual 1024x768 and everything works OK.
primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:25 AM   #3
Administrator

If all else fails, just plug in an external display and set your video to match it's resolution to install Zoom Browser. But, I don't know how well it would work on the lower resolution display if it runs that way after you switch back to the netbook's built in display (i.e., you may not be able to easily get to everything if some controls are not visible).

I've got a Netbook (Eee PC) but I run Linux on mine and some of the apps are more optimized for smaller displays.

If you want to give one a try on it in a dual boot config (where you select the operating system you want to use from a menu each time you reboot), I'd probably look at Jolicloud (free). It's using an Ubuntu base with a customized desktop and menu system (and some of the preinstalled applications in Jolicloud are specifically optimized for take advantage of less screen real estate). Also, because it's compatible with software designed for Ubuntu, you select from thousands of available applications from the Ubuntu repositories and install them with a mouse click or two, since Ubuntu is a very popular distribution with lots of software available. For example, Gwenview, ShowFoto and digiKam and popular apps for image viewing/editing if you don't like the Graphics Applications that are preinstalled in Jolicloud.

http://www.jolicloud.com/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by primus View Post
Don't know for Acer, but at Asus eeePC I just switched screen resolution from 1024x600 to virtual 1024x768 and everything works OK.
Primus,

This sounds like the way to go. Could you guide me how to activate virtual resolution?

Thanks.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 7:46 AM   #5

OK, I have the same problem, but my HP Mini's screen res won't go any higher than 1024x600 in any way. Any ideas?
I'm trying to load an older version of Zoombrowser. The only aspect that I use is the slideshow feature (onsite event photos), and the latest Zoombrowser EX slideshow literally sux.

Last edited by rowdyj; Apr 7, 2011 at 7:54 AM.
rowdyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 5:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-beginner View Post
Could you guide me how to activate virtual resolution?
This might be a limitation in "Starter" as referencing from "Home Premium" version of Win7.

Start > Control Panel > Display > Change Settings. From there, resolution has a dropdown slider bar, however, "Advanced Settings" under graphic has "list modes" for each specific level it is capable of.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 6:38 AM   #7

i have the acer aspire one and it sure looks as if 1024x600 is the max resolution i can select. i could be wrong but i suspect it's a limit of the built-in video adaptor.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:58 AM   #8

My earlier note was based on my desktop where could look at sequence. Just looked at wife's Dell netbook, and 1025x600 is the max that the Intel graphic adapter 3150 supports.

In that case, would check Canon's web site, technical support or forums, to see if that issue has been addressed and possible solutions. Absent that then...
- SD card/USB camera hookup and manually transfer to folder using Windows Explorer (that option is what ruled out the iPad with it's omission when I was shopping). Then use Microsoft's media viewer/windows explorer.
- Third party software. I know Nikon Transfer and ViewNX are free, also others, like Picassa. Don't know if they have similar display limitations. Way overkill, but actually thought about downloading Adobe's Lightroom trial just to see if it would work, but looks like it has the same 1028x764 requirement.
- Use Canon's Zoombrowser on another desktop or laptop then copy over network those that you want on the netbook.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:21 AM   #9

actually, this is the reason i won't buy a canon p&s. i want my camera to support being mass storage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_mas...e_device_class

this site says Picasa works
http://www.tempusfugit.ca/techwatch.ca/picasa.html

(as an aside, anyone who jailbreaks their ipad/ipod/iphone has access to the file system. i use winscp and it works great.)
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 6:12 AM   #10

Had similar problems this week and have found a simple solution.
May not work for all machines but did for my specific netbooks

There is a regedit hack I found on some forums that is interesting. Have tried it (confidently!)

I have 2 ASUS 1015_x netbooks purchased 9 months apart.
Old is a 1015PX (intel innards). The new is 1015BX with AMD innards. Both running Windows 7 Starter edition.

I encountered the same installation problems on Zoombrowser but had also encountered it with Google Earth on an older ASUS tablet (RH2?) (limited to 600 mostly) as well as the 1015_X's

Regarding the HACK approach:
The "old" one is happy to provide higher (than *x600) resolutions without needing to hack. The new one is stuck at 1024x600 and in registry the Display1-... has the value of 1. (Changing from 0 to 1 opens some net/note books to a bigger variety of screen resolutions)

Maybe the new one will have to go back as "unsuitable for purpose" (mainly to offload image files, backup onto internal HDD and view/minor field edits)

NEXT DAY (AND THINKING IT OUT)

SUCCESS!!!
Managed to install Canon Zoombrowser, etc (EOS utilities) on BOTH netbooks last night. Mine [1015PX] with the 1024x768 screen (Intel cpu/graphics) installed normally- no hassles.
The other netbook (1015BX) with AMD/Radeon) which had refused to install because of the 1024x600 screen limitation was convinced to install by the following (simple) process.

1. Open Windows Explorer [Easy with windows button on keyboard (near ALT usually) and "E"]
2. locate the SETUP.exe file on the cd
3. Right click (do not run or execute the program yet) SETUP
4. Choose "TROUBLESHOOT COMPATIBILITY" and perform a test run. The system accepted the SETUP as a WINDOWS XP (SP2) file and (after answering various questions and accepting hte various run program options) the installation was SUCCESSFUL.

We can now use ZOOMBROWSER on both ASUS 1015_X netbooks.

(For those interested we also have Irfanview- used for 15-20 years!! but my wife is happy with Zoombrowser, so...
The use is mainly to olffload photos from SD cards of a Canon A500 and CF cards from the Canon 400D to backup, and release the cards for further use when travelling. Also to preview and minor edit some images. Will probably use a portable DVD burner to further backup (into a different suitcase) which we have from other devices.

Hope this helps you all
goldenjaws is offline   Reply With Quote