Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 2, 2003, 9:01 PM   #1

Default need help with layers in photoshop

I am trying to use photoshop elements to use a scanned picture and add some creative text to it. I am having a tough time figuring out how to use the layering tool. I have tried making a layer of the picture then adding layers of text. I am not seeing my picture in the thumbnails. Could it be in the wrong format , ie. jpg etc? I am also confused as to how to " merge all the layers ". I have read and reread two differant books chaapters on the subject. It just aint kleer. Any help would be great!!
I also have ACDsee if anyone thinks that would be simpler.
kaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2003, 9:24 AM   #2

It doesn’t make any difference that an image is JPG. Once you open it in Photoshop it decompresses and works just like a TIFF. I have downloaded BMPs that didn’t have enough information for some reason to make layers, but I’ve never had a problem with JPGs.

If Elements works like Photoshop the text tool makes its own layer. You can move it around until you rasterize it with the check mark on the toolbar.

Under “Layer” on the file menu there are several choices for merging. “Flatten image” merges all the layers.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 8:17 PM   #3

Default I'm in the dark in regards to layers

Would anyone be so generous to share a bit their time and experience with me by emailing me directly? I have been struggling for weeks now trying to understand ' layers' My current project is to add text to a very old family print I have scanned. I absolutely cannot seem to type on a layer and than merge or flatten the differant layers to one. I also can't figure out how to get rid of the checkerboard pattern when I need to add text. I think if someone who understands layering would be generous enough to email me it might take a few conversations back and forth.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 8:38 PM   #4

I'm struggling with Layers as well, but I found this on Adobe's site. It helped me, perhaps it'll help you as well.

http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/tip...yers/main.html
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 3:09 AM   #5

Hi
First make sure your image is not in 'Indexed Color' mode - click Image>Mode. You have to change it to RGB or Grayscale for Layers to work. You should also have the Layers Pallette visible - use Window>Layers.
The Chekerboard shows that the area is transparent, and can be ignored.
Once the image is in a mode which allows layers everything is automatic - once you select the 'T' tol and start typeing the new layer is created - you will still see image underneath - and by changing to the 'move' tool you can re-position it.

HTH

Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 9:42 PM   #6

Thanks to all for the tips. I'm getting better. Next step is to figure out how to create a background for the text. The background on my print has too much texture and I would like to simplify it just around the text.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 11:14 PM   #7

Default Layers?

I've given up on layers. I use Photoshop in conjunction with ACDSee. Once I've added something to a jpeg picture using Photoshop, I save it as a psd file, then use ACDSee to turn the psd file into a jpeg file. Then, to make the next change, I use Photoshop again on the resulting jpeg file - and so on.

If I want to add text to a picture I use Irfanview.

Here's a LOW quality example - it looks terrible because it's been compressed into a small file -
http://www.pbase.com/image/24002935
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 2:43 AM   #8

Herb - it looks terrible because its been saved as a jpeg too many times. You dont have to keep moving it into ACDSee - make all your changes in photoshop in successive layers, then at the end save as a .psd file to preserve the layers for future editing, then use Layer>Flatten Image and save as your final .tif or .jpg file.
Kaman - to add a keyline around your text, hold down Control and click on the text layer in the Layers pallette, set the foreground colour to white or yellow (or whatever). Then use Edit>Stroke set to 1 or 2 pixels and 'Outside'.

Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 1:25 PM   #9

Brian - I've printed out your advice & will try to get Photoshop to work for me like that.

Apropos the picture, it has indeed been compressed several times as a JPEG file - it started off, by the way, as a 35mm kodachrome picture, which I later had scanned.

Nonetheless, I still attribute most of the low quality of the posted picture to the small size of the file (about 34kb). I've since posted a somewhat better version of it in a file that's compressed less - to about 140kb. There are still lots of JPEG artifacts in it too, but I think it illustrates what I mean -

http://www.pbase.com/image/24046104
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 6:07 PM   #10

Herb,

Thanks for the input. Thats exactly what I am trying to do. I will try what you have done.

Kevin