Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 5, 2003, 12:55 PM   #1

Default Photoshop 7 vs. CS

I'm still dithering over upgrading. A number of the new features don't interest me in the least since it's really the editing tools and how they operate that's important to me. When I upgraded to PS7, for instance, it was the Healing Brush that made it all worthwhile.

Is the RAW import truly superior to the plug-ins many of us got along with the purchase of our cameras? Also, I must be missing a beat in the description of the new Histogram because it sounds like what I've already got in vers. 7.

My impression has been that this new version answers a number of dreams for commercial artists. What about those of us who are merely serious amateurs?

Those of you who've upgraded from 7: are you happy you did so? Why? If you're not happy, why?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2003, 3:21 PM   #2

yes the raw is superior. a few more features that make it well worth it.
there are a few new little wonders tha assist the photographer as well. basic photo filters. the new file browser. shadow/highlight adjustment. no there enough there to force your hand.
open the wallet and get out the card. dell has/had it for a total of $152 delivered.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 3:29 PM   #3

Darn. I was hoping it wouldn't be worthwhile so I could add another lens or something to my camera. Christmas, there's always Christmas, right? I've been very, very good. Most of the time.

Actually, I haven't been using RAW mode on my camera because I'm so unimpressed with the Olympus plug-in for converting it.

And basic photo filters? Like the sort used for film cameras perhaps?
Old Dec 5, 2003, 3:43 PM   #4

I'm freshly back from Adobe.com where I read absolutely everything they had on the new PS. I'm going to upgrade.
Old Dec 5, 2003, 3:57 PM   #5

81 85 80 82 and more with controllable density
Old Dec 5, 2003, 4:31 PM   #6

Forget Christmas. I want it now :!:
Old Dec 5, 2003, 6:57 PM   #7

Quote:
dell has/had it for a total of $152 delivered
They're now up to $169, but B&H Photo has it at $149.95, which would be increased by sales tax since I'm in NYS and so are they, but that's okay considering I've had only phenomenal service from them. They're currently out of stock, which is a good thing since it's a Christmas present for me. Anyway, that's what I'm telling myself.
Old Dec 5, 2003, 7:03 PM   #8

if you have purchased from dell before put it in your basket and 16.90 melts away.of couse you have to log in.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 12:28 AM   #9

I was about to jump up and down and whine and screem until I saw that you're talking about the upgrade price.

I paid $300 for the full, new version. Ahh.. I didn't spend too much (well, ok.. I did. But that is another matter.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 2:26 AM   #10

IMO you are able to much of the same stuff in PS7. It just take some more time. Okay, the RAW feature is really good. No doubt there. Much better than the PS7 plugin!

But I say it's much money, if you're not really into photography and do a lot of shooting and processing. For ordinary use for most people, this is not worth the money.

But then again - if money's not a issue...
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote