Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:06 PM   #1

Default Editing Software Question

I'm sure this has been asked a lot but I was wanting to know if there are any good "free" editing programs? I am willing to purchase one too but wondered if there are any that work just as well as the purchased one's? I currently have nothing to edit my photos.

Thanks for the help!

wolverines
wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:19 AM   #2
NLA

Just as good as purchased programs? Well, that might depend on just how deeply you wished to delve into your aim.

From what I have been given to understand, there are a number of free photo editing programs out there, though their titles don't rest within my recall. Only three of them (Picasa, GIMP, and I think the other one is Irfanview) are the ones that I can readily give names to.

I have used Picasa, and think it to be a pretty good - though basic - photo editing program. Download them, and kick their tires a little bit. Depending on what you wish to do, one of them may serve your needs completely.

Let us know how you make out.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:21 AM   #3

I play with picasa and gimp and they are pretty good,
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:53 AM   #4

I have used Irfanview in the past but am currently using Picasa (free) along with Paintshop Pro (purchased). Both Picasa and Irfanview are easy to run editors that allow you to do basic photo editing and touch-ups. Both or either will get you started but at some point you may discover their limitations.

You can usually download trial versions of the more popular editors, Photoshop, etc. This gives you a chance to try them out before you decide to purchase.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 7:23 PM   #5

Use the freeware programs until you find something you want to do that they don't handle.

Then download the trial versions of the shareware - just be prepared to work with them fairly intensly during the trial period. Kinda frustrating when the trial runs out and you haven't figured out what the program does for you.

The suggested software above is a good starting list.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:17 PM   #6

You may want to take a look at Photoscape, too. It's free and it's pretty cool.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:09 AM   #7

If you create RAW data, most freebies either don't support RAW images at all or just convert them to JPEG and then allow you to edit the resulting JPEG file. To actually work with the RAW data seems to require a commercial product AFAIK.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:20 PM   #8

Isn't it always the way... I no sooner posted saying that I didn't know of any free editors that support RAW than I saw someone praising FastStone for just this functionality. I haven't used it myself, but if you're looking for a freeware editor that supports working with RAW data, it may be worth a look: http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 5:22 PM   #9

I use Irfanview for a number of things, and find it works pretty well for a lot of basic editing, as well as supporting most RAW formats. Working from the Irfanview thumbnails program gives a good browser with ability to open directly into the editor, or another editing program. It's quick, easy to learn, and can use photoshop plugins.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 7:36 AM   #10

hi all,
i did not want to open a new topic.,
could you tell me how you edit your photos pls?
Resizing, compressing or anything else to make your photos look better?

i use microsof office picture manager.
dereckfun is offline   Reply With Quote