Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 25, 2010, 5:11 PM   #1

Default Help with Gimp

I downloaded Gimp and was wanting to crop some photos to put onto this site. I use a Nikkon D500 and use their view NX. I was wanting to know, do I need to use a Raw file to edit or a Jpeg and once I edit them, will my original Raw files be forever adjusted? How can I adjust some photos and keep my original files intact? I hope I explained myself. Sorry, I am new to editing and would like some help if it's possible to do so over these threads.

Thanks,
wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2010, 5:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverines View Post
I downloaded Gimp and was wanting to crop some photos to put onto this site. I use a Nikkon D500 and use their view NX. I was wanting to know, do I need to use a Raw file to edit or a Jpeg and once I edit them, will my original Raw files be forever adjusted? How can I adjust some photos and keep my original files intact? I hope I explained myself. Sorry, I am new to editing and would like some help if it's possible to do so over these threads.

Thanks,
Do "Save As" instead of "Save".
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 5:22 PM   #3

I'm not a Gimp user, but your question is general enough that I think I can answer it.
When you have finished editing a photo, you should always 'Save As ..' instead of just 'Save'. In this way, you will not overwrite your original. If you have opened a Raw file type and save it in jpeg format, you don't change the Raw in any way. Some editors will allow you to change and save a Raw file, but most will require you to save it in standard format such as jpeg or tiff.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverines View Post

Thanks,
I run Gimp on Linux, but it should be similar on other systems.
If you can import directly from RAW using the UFRaw or dcraw
plugin, all you need to do is use the crop tool (scalpel icon) for
cropping and right-click : Image : Scale Image to change the
image size.

My preferred way of cropping is to select the region
I want to crop and then use right-click : Image : Crop to Selection
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote