Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 18, 2003, 7:39 PM   #1

Default It came, I saw, and...

My Christmas present from me to me arrived today: Photoshop CS. Naturally, I wasn't about to wait until Christmas Day to install it, and if you think I have no self control, you could be right. But would YOU wait another week?

So, like I said, it came, I installed and saw it, and now I'm going to have to conquer it. Familiar things are slightly altered, and because I don't expect them, it disrupts the work flow. Applying filters is different, and the browser isn't parked, and things are in slightly different places, but I'll get used to it.

The only thing I immediately didn't like was that the whatever-you-call-it where you store pallettes is even smaller than it was in version 7, where it was already too small.

I'll put the empty box under the tree. :twisted:
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2003, 8:00 PM   #2

Ha Ha. Good for you, Barbara! I asked Santa to deliver CS under my tree. I couldn't wait either, but since I'm sure Santa is going to make me wait, I downloaded the trial version so that I could experiment and learn while I wait

I'm moving from Elements, so my learning curve will be a bit steeper than yours going from 7 (although I had that trial version to play with as well)
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 7:06 AM   #3

I suggest you case the joint, looking for suspiciously sized packages under the bed, in the back of the closet, in the trunk of the car. You will be doing yourself a favor; it's a well-known fact that surprises aren't good for the heart.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 11:17 AM   #4

You do make a compelling case...after all, I do have my health to consider!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 11:48 AM   #5

The devil is alive and well and sitting at my computer!
Old Dec 19, 2003, 1:55 PM   #6

I'm in love. I just worked with RAW files. The Photoshop plug-in is sensational with all its fine tuning. I used 16 bit instead of 8 and was able to play with adjustment tools not previously available to 16 bit. I changed to LAB mode, selected Lightness, puttered about less than a minute, converted to grayscale, and was stunned with the results.

I'm going back to exploring this best version of Photoshop ever.

("ohenry," are you listening? Are you playing with the trial version? Can you wait for Christmas? :twisted: )
Old Dec 19, 2003, 2:15 PM   #7

Naughty Naughty, opening presents before the big day

Only thing I did not like is that it installed a seperate copy of PS so both PS7 and PS cs were available. And I had to go and install the plugins I like the most again. For some reason a few were failing when I pointed the alternate plugin dir to the old PS7 plugin dir.

Sandy Claws will get all you who are sneeking early presents :P :P :P

Oh me, I did it properly I bought myself a nice copy of Norton Antivirus 2004 for christmas at the same time as I got PS CS :lol:
So that makes my installing PS all righter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 2:36 PM   #8

Quote:
it installed a seperate copy of PS so both PS7 and PS cs were available
My understanding is that this was done so people would have the old one available until they'd grown used to the new one. I appreciated it for another reason: I couldn't remember how I'd set up preferences and my scratch disks, so I simply went over to vers. 7 and checked. Of course, they probably could have given us the choice of wiping out the old and replacing it with the new, and I'd have done it, but sure as the sun rises in the east, I'd have lost something I wanted.

Quote:
For some reason a few were failing when I pointed the alternate plugin dir to the old PS7 plugin dir
Just by chance, I tripped over information either in the manual or in the ReadMe file about that. It said not to point to the plug-ins within the older version. If they explained why, I missed it.

Quote:
Sandy Claws will get all you who are sneeking early presents
Will not.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 2:42 PM   #9

Manual ??????
Whats that ?????
Is that the little shrinkwrapped thingey I used to stop the table from wobeling???

Quote:
Just by chance, I tripped over information either in the manual or in the ReadMe file about that. It said not to point to the plug-ins within the older version. If they explained why, I missed it.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 3:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Is that the little shrinkwrapped thingey...
Yes, that's it--the book we never use because it's written by Martians, forcing us to go out and buy a really good book for forty dollars, which we also stop using because we are, after all, rare geniuses. I was considering buying just such a book for CS out of the Christmas fund so as not to break tradition but, instead, I let the money go toward a flash for my camera, which, by the way, arrived today and I opened the box promptly. My husband claims the next box will be loaded with coal. :evil: