Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:53 AM   #1

Default PS CS4 and Bridge any good?

To view and organize photos, I have always used Windows folders and Windows Photo Viewer, but I think it is now time to move on.
I have Photo Shop CS4 that comes with a program called Bridge, is this any good to get used to (learning everything needed), or should I look for something different?

Another question:
When I resize a photo in PS and save as, all my meta data is lost, is there a way to edit photos in PS and save them with all the meta data intact?

Thank you.
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:05 PM   #2

I just saw (yep, now looking at the manual and whatever else came with the camera), that there is a disk with a program called Zoombrowser, PhotoStich Picture style Editor and WTF Utility.
Do I need any of these programs, or is this just promo stuff and there is better with PS CS4?

Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2010, 4:42 AM   #3

Bridge is a pretty comprehensive organizing solution and can take a bit of getting used to. Many swear by it, but I tend to only use Bridge for viewing my Raw files and moving on from there.
Like you, I transfer my images, via a card reader, to my hard drive and put them into folders as I go.
I use a simple method of a parent folder called Family, with sub-folders for individually named people/places/events etc.......which in turn have dated folders inside. Backed up to an external hard drive and DVDs periodically.

I have used PS for a number of years, but have just never got around to alternative organizing. Much prefer the simplicity, I guess ;-)
For the 'home user', the 'hobbyist', it's probably not as important, or necessary, as it might be for a professional to use something like Bridge.

Only you can decide if you are prepared to learn the ropes with using bridge and if it would benefit 'you'.

Using 'Save as...' should not be discarding the metadata at all.
Only if you use 'Save for web & devices' will you lose the EXIF.
And then you actually have the options to save varying degrees of information or none at all, with CS4 & CS5.
So double check which saving method you are using and if the latter, take a close look at the options in the Metadata drop down (just above the Colour table).

Zoombrowser etc, come with Canon cameras. You should also have Digital Photo Professional (DPP), which would be the application you would use in the event you don't have an alternative photo editing package. Particularly for opening and processing Raw files.
It is a very good program (they each have their uses and are pretty good at what they do), and although personally, I prefer to open and edit my Raws in ACR (there are more options to fine tune), the Canon software is definitely not just promo stuff !

EOS Utility enables you to tether your camera to your computer and take shots whilst using your monitor to compose.
Sure, not practical 'in the field', unless you use a laptop, but handy nonetheless.
It also lets you add your own copyright info to your camera. So that your image files will always contain what you add in the metadata. For example, I have my own name in my image files, without needing to add afterwards in Bridge.

One advantage of DPP is that it will recognize the in-camera settings of any picture styles you may have applied.
If you shoot black & white for example (in-camera), it will be applied to the raw file in DPP but not in ACR.

One might argue that a camera manufacturers own software would 'know' the image files better than any other program. Due to alternatives needing to reverse engineer a file in order to create an application to work with it.
This may well be better for accuracy, but I find ACR does a damn good job of it and I like to keep my work flow as smooth as possible, without needing/wanting to open in one, then another...and back again.
So for me it's, open raw files in ACR.....do whatever is necessary, then open straight into CS5.

Really though, the best advice is to try it !
Install the software and mooch around for a while. See what it might offer you in terms of an alternative to Bridge (and CS4).
Likewise, check out the Bridge help files, search on line for stuff about it (Bridge) and decide if it's the way you would like to go.

Hope that helps :-)
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:46 AM   #4

Thank you very much, I have started to look into Bridge and it looks like something to get used to.
I will however, still use my folder method and then look at the photos in Bridge, which seems to pick up new folders and photos instantly.
The biggest problem is, that I can't preview the photos in Windows Photo viewer nor as thumbnails in Windows Explorer.
I found a program that claims to enable this, but they want like $15 for it and I haven't decided yet.
Do you know of any free program that accomplishes this? I know MS made one for Windows XP, but not for Windows7 (64bit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekin View Post
Using 'Save as...' should not be discarding the metadata at all.
Only if you use 'Save for web & devices' will you lose the EXIF.
And then you actually have the options to save varying degrees of information or none at all, with CS4 & CS5.
So double check which saving method you are using and if the latter, take a close look at the options in the metadata drop down (just above the Color table).
Something I really must be missing.
After converting from a .dng file to a .jpg, all metadata is still there.
Then, all I do is resize the photo (Image size in PS), Save As (Shift-Ctr-S) give it a 10 in Quality and that's it.
After that, the resized photo doesn't read any metadata in Bridge.
I can't find an option within the two windows that open up, that would have anything to do with the metadata.

Thanks for your input so far, it helped me a lot.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 1:33 PM   #5

Firstly, any options to retain or discard the metadata will only be seen in the 'Save for web & devices' dialogue, not 'Save as...' :-)

I'm really not sure why your saved files are not retaining their metadata though.
I just opened a .dng file in ACR, then opened into PS. Saved it using 'Save as...' and selected .jpg at quality setting 10 (not that that matters ;-) ).
In Photoshop I could see the metadata via File > File Info.
Can also see it in Bridge (CS4) by right clicking on the image thumb and selecting File Info.
Don't forget to select the 'Camera Data' tab along the top to view the EXIF and IPTC for anything you may have added to the metadata.

As for viewing raw files in the Windows Explorer context....I use a free Canon codec to view my raw files inside Windows Live Photo Gallery.
I guess it depends on your camera as to whether or not there is something out there. <<<<< Doh !
Of course, I already know you use a Canon ;-)

I am currently using version 1.5 of the Canon codec, which although it says it is for Vista, it works just fine for me with Win 7 64-bit.
The latest version is 1.7
Give it a try : http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0038095.asp
But make sure you have, or install, Microsoft Windows Live Photo Gallery before installing the codec.

Last edited by Stevekin; Sep 24, 2010 at 1:45 PM.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 3:23 PM   #6

PS does work now??????
I don't why, it could be that the Adobe DNG Converter installed something that makes it work now.

I did install the Canon Codex, but Windows Life still can't see those files, it also can't see the dng files.

On Canons site my camera is not listed under the supported cameras, I guess it wasn't important enough for Canon to update their codex support before the release of a new camera.
I guess I'll have to wait awhile, we'll see.

I still am so used to work a lot in Windows Explorer and wish I could see the thumbnails of ALL my files in there.
Maybe I just wait for an update of that other program for $15 and hope it will support the 60D.

Thanks again, you are a great help.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:12 PM   #7

EXIF data from a RAW imported via ACR can be retained using "Save for Web & Devices..." in CS5 if you change the metadata setting to All from the default of "Copyright and Contact Info"
shiphorns is offline   Reply With Quote