Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 12, 2010, 7:02 PM   #11

If you use a broom handle or pole or walking stick and want to use the camera at a different height than the top, grab the pole and the camera with your left hand, then just slide your hand up and down the pole to the point where you want it, using it as Bill described (the third leg of a tripod). I shoot a lot of macro that way. Never thought about using it for night shots, but it would work pretty well for it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 7:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marawder View Post
...Well since I only have a P&S, don't really see the need in buying a tripod...the ones made for compact cameras are so tiny, it would look ridiculous !...
really you would look like you know what you were doing. i use a small tripod all the time with my small p&s. it's great for taking steady short movie clips. perfect for getting in the shots yourself. and if it's a little dim, the p&s poor performance at high iso won't get in the way. you should get one. they're cheap. get the gorilla pod so you could attach your p&s to tree branches or fences...anything to get the shot.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:52 AM   #13

Aha...what about when I travel ? Standing in the middle of a busy sidewalk with a tripod ? I think I'd annoy more than just a few people...

I was in Florence last week...saw plenty of people with DSLRs but none of them had a tripod ! Won't even mention the tourists with P&Ss...

Also, when I travel, I walk A LOT 'cause I love exploring the city...I don't think I could stand carrying a tripod the entire time !

Anyways, I'll show you some samples from my trip:

You guys think they would've looked better with a tripod ?
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:26 AM   #14

I don't want to say those ones in particular would be better, but combine slow shutter speed, wide open aperture and high (for p&s) iso, and i think you would have had a few more options available to you. and some are small enough not to take much room in your bag. i used one at disneyworld for night shots recently. just stood it up on the flat garbage cans. one similar to this:
http://slikcameratripods.com/slik-mi...tilt-head-200/
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:49 AM   #15

Quote:
You guys think they would've looked better with a tripod ?
The first two would have been materailly improved with a tripod. But mostly, all of them would have benefitted from perspectve correction. The walls on every one of the photos are leaning like a drunken sailor.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
i used one at disneyworld for night shots recently. just stood it up on the flat garbage cans. one similar to this:
What I'd really like to ask you is: did you attract any kind of unwanted attention ?

When I was in Nice, I would pose my camera on all kinds of stuff...people passing by were giving me that look: that is sooo weird ! I felt really embarassed...

But I'll definitely buy a tripod like that...it's not like it will cost me a fortune !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Last edited by Marawder; Dec 13, 2010 at 7:52 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
The first two would have been materailly improved with a tripod. But mostly, all of them would have benefitted from perspectve correction. The walls on every one of the photos are leaning like a drunken sailor.
That's your opinion dude, even though I really dislike the analogy...

Even with a tripod, I wouldn't have changed the perspective...

And I really don't see how the second one could have been materially different...sharpness and detail seem great !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:17 AM   #18

Quote:
What I'd really like to ask you is: did you attract any kind of unwanted attention ? ...
No. It was dark anyway. and possibly using a tree to provide support looks different than using a tripod. I don't know. I agree you should only do what you feel comfortable with. It was little too. I think I mentioned this in another thread that I overheard someone complaining out loud that his "$2000 camera" was no good. So I guess even if some folk wondered what i was doing, it was worth it.

The attached pic is from my casio "backup" camera.
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:09 AM   #19

I agree that at least the first one would be improved by using a tripod. There would be more detail in the stained glass windows - the kind of sharpness that cannot be obtained by using an editor's sharpening feature. 1/13th sec is a very slow shutter speed.

Of course that photo was taken in the kind of place a tripod would not be allowed. But if you walk with a bit of a limp, a walking stick could be OK :-)
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:45 PM   #20

So what happens if you don't have a support for your tripod, like a garbage can ? You just put it on the ground ? What if it's raining ?
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM