Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 14, 2010, 4:09 PM   #1

Default Batch resize ?

Hey guys...I want to make a photo book of my recent trip to Florence, but I have to order it tomorrow, that is if I want it to arrive before Christmas !

I need to increase the resolution of about 150 photos to 300 PPI...it would be extremely tedious and time consuming to do that 'manually' !

The Scripts command that I usually use for batch resizing isn't helpful...the PPI stays the same, even if the image was downsized !

There has to be a command that increases the PPI on multiple images, right ?

Thank you for any advice given...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2010, 5:53 PM   #2

If the vendor of that book really demands that the photos be 300 PPI, I would suggest finding someone else. That would be a silly demand that I cannot imagine anyone but a total novice making.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 6:03 PM   #3

It's FujiFilm Switzerland...I don't think they're novices !

And pretty much everybody told me that for optimum quality, my photos should be at 300 DPI/PPI, not just the vendor...

Anyway, this doesn't really answer my question...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Old Dec 14, 2010, 6:06 PM   #4

Generally speaking it is suggested to print at 300 dpi. But any printing process should ignor any image imbedded ppi information in your photos. Unless you're heavily cropping the photos you'll have more than enough pixels in a given photo for prints in a photo book. You don't need to do anything to the photos other than crop them the way you want and position them on the page the way you want using the software/website of the photobook publisher. .

For example the images out of my camera have a 'default' setting of 72dpi. That doesn't mean they won't print. All that means is at 72dpi they make an enormously large image. But if I want to print at 8x10, any professional printing process ignores that 72dpi and re-calculates based on actual pixels in the image and final print sizing.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 6:12 PM   #5

would there be anything wrong with resizing to your target requirement? i.e.: say the book is set up for 8X11 inch pictures. just crop/resize your photo to 2400X3300

wouldn't that suit the need? or have i missed something here?
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 6:15 PM   #6

No need to resize - just crop. Let the printer downsize - it will do a better job. All the vendor is RECOMMENDING is you have enough pixels in the image. Trying to artificially create more pixels or even reduce pixels is likely to yield worse results than what the printing software will do. BUT, by the same token you can't send an image file that is 200 x 600 pixels and get a good 8x10 print out of it.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 6:21 PM   #7

I think the disconnect here is that Fuji may be suggesting that you print your photos no larger than would result in a 300 PPI image, and you appear to be thinking that the x resolution and y resolution attributes of the exif data must say "300." Bill is right that the exif field is boilerplate that, AFAIK, no program on the face of the earth concerns itself with. But the reality of the actual resolution is a different matter. For example, an uncropped image from my camera is 4288x2848 pixels. The exif data from my camera says 300 for both x resolution and y resolution, but the reality is that resolution will be determined by the size that I print it. If I print the image at 14.3 inches by 9.5 inches, it will be 300 PPI. However, if I print it 9x6 inches, it will be about 475 PPI. I haven't changed the photo at all in these two cases -- I've just printed it out at a different size.

It is almost a certainty that the guideline that Fuji is putting forward is that for optimal print quality, you should not ask for prints so large that you would have less than 300 PPI in the desired print size.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:12 PM   #8

I'm completely lost...I have no idea what you guys are talking about !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Old Dec 15, 2010, 6:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marawder View Post
Here's one link that might help: http://www.techterms.com/definition/ppi
if you google "dots per inch definition" you can get some additional links. No sense re-typing what others have already written
Old Dec 15, 2010, 6:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marawder View Post
The short answer is that, unless you have really cropped your images a lot or are trying to make a really big poster, you can just ignore this requirement -- you will already meet it, no matter what the heading in your photo says.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote