Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 7, 2011, 3:33 PM   #1

Default Apple Aperture 3 super deal

Apple have launch the apps store for mac, and one of the deals is aperture 3 for 80 bucks. You get an excellent editor and photo manager in one for cheap.
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:03 PM   #2

Hi shoturtle,

I recently bought an iMac and was looking at this. Do you think this is a better bet than iPhoto and maybe Photshop Elements for someone who doesn't do a lot of (if any) RAW shooting and just light editing? It's a great deal, but was wondering if it's overkill for me given the learning curve and resource trade off.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:43 PM   #3

I bought Aperture 2 when I first got my Imac about 2 years ago. I used iphoto briefly but after using Elements I knew I needed something more. I've been using Elements since version 4 ( now have 8) and prefer Aperture for 95% of my edits. I upgraded to A3 last week and will now have less of a need for Elements.

Apertures library is great and the new brushes tool and raw reading capabilities make it the best deal ever for an editor.

Once you get Aperture there's no need to ever use jpeg again, it handles raw the same as jpeg but with more editing options.

If for nothing else it's worth the price just for the library.

Just make sure you Imac is up for the task. Aperture is a resource hog. Max out your memory.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:59 PM   #4

Aperture 3 is a very useful tool. It offers more then element, Lightroom is the closest thing to aperture 3. Now the full Photoshop, that is the best on the market but way to expensive. And for 80 bucks it he less the element 9.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:43 PM   #5

True, but Elements does have some things from the full Photoshop that are useful and that Aperture doesn't have, like the content-aware spot healing tool.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:47 PM   #6

There are pros and cons of each. Aperture is a great photo manager ontop of a excellent editor. Element has more photoshop tools. But not nearly as good of a manger like lightroom.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:42 PM   #7

I played around with both Aperture and iPhoto while my computer was in the shop. I really like Aperture but thought iPhoto rather heavy handed with certain things and too limited in others, so in my opinion, Aperture is well worth the money. If I were going to be using my other half's computer for any length of time, I'd probably buy Aperture - there were some things I'd rather do in Aperture and others I wanted Elements for. But I wouldn't give up Elements completely.

I'm normally a Lightroom and Photoshop person - I've been using LR since the original beta test and Adobe gives a bigger academic discount than Apple does, so LR is cheaper for me (and Photoshop is really affordable compared to the regular price!).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:21 AM   #8

I posted this in another section but I have downloaded it couldnt believe the price 44 in the uk a saving of 130. All you get is the program and help files but I have found the how to section on the aperture web site this gets you started. then there is youtube for more tutorials.
I have had this since friday and I am finding my way around it easy. I did try the 30 day trial of lightroom and aperture seems a lot easier for me.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote