Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:06 AM   #11

Irfanview is another viewer that accepts many formats... also free from the web
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:31 PM   #12
Administrator

BTW, have you tried any video editors (versus players)? I can imagine that many products can do frame by frame playback for editing purposes.

I'm not very familiar with Windows video editors (I don't mess with video much, but when I do, I typically use Kdenlive or OpenShot under Linux).

You may want to give some of the trial versions of products like Adobe Premiere Elements a spin to see how they behave with the video from that Casio if you can't get any video players to work correctly on your PCs.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:07 PM   #13

Have you looked at Media Player Classic? It has reliably played everything I have thrown at it, and doesn't seem to have any problem single-stepping through as many times as I have ever tried. available here:http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 6:06 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknthedesert View Post
I've done it six times, using three different 1000 fps videos to eliminate the 'bad file' variable, and reliably, it hangs after approximately 120 frames, no matter how slowly I try to go.
Your problem got my curiosity up, since I couldn't seem to duplicate it (using both VLC 1.0.5 under 64 bit Win 7, and VLC 1.1.4 under Linux Mint 10; although I did quit clicking after about 500 frames, so perhaps I quit too soon.

So, I tried it using VLC 1.1.5 (current stable release, since that's probably what you installed) under Win 7, and sure enough it does hang (only with my PC, it takes over 300 frames, clicking the frame advance button as fast as I can).

I'd try the latest (Jan 15) nightly development build for the next major release (1.2). They have nightly builds for the next stable version (1.1.6) available, as well as nightly builds for the next major release (which will be 1.2). I just tried this one (Jan 15th nightly development build for 1.2), and it works fine from what I can see. I did not try the nightly for 1.1.6. Get the 1.2 build I just tested with here:

http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/...0003-win32.exe

I quit counting after 1000 clicks, but I kept clicking away as fast as I could for while after that, with no signs of any hang. So, as far as I can tell from my limited testing, the problem you found has been fixed.

I'd let the new installer for 1.2 remove the old version versus uninstalling it separately (it will see any existing installation and do that for you). Then, when prompted if you want to delete preferences and cache from the previous release, tell it yes (just in case something odd with the default preferences or cache build in 1.1.5 was causing the issue, as I didn't start 1.1.5 in verbose mode to try and figure out what might be causing the crash/hang issue).

That's the way I tested with it (letting the Jan 15th nightly build for 1.2 uninstall 1.1.5, telling it to delete preferences and cache when prompted).

Here's where you'll find links to the night builds if you want to try even newer (or older) builds later:

http://nightlies.videolan.org

JimC
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:50 AM   #15

Thanks for the suggestion, Jim - I do indeed have V. 1.1.5. I'll try 1.2 soon.
ricknthedesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:02 AM   #16

Default http://www.mplayerhq.hu/

While VLC is great for many things, I think in your case mplayer will be much better. Just PAUSE the video at the beginning and then advance by pressing ".". Each key stroke will advance 1 frame.
mihaimm is offline   Reply With Quote