Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Default What's a good Editing software (other than photoshop)

I can't afford Photoshop, So I was wondering what are some good photo editing software? Kind of like Photoshop that won't cost me hundreds of dollars?
MissKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:39 AM   #2

The one by Corel Paint Shop Pro is what I like. Though, don't use it much except to clone out annoying people.
Lately have been using just the one that opens the photo from the file.
Windows Live Photo Gallery, which resizes, crops, etc. which is the most I do with photos.
PS does have a cool thing called kalaiedascope and that is fun to play with photos.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:48 AM   #3

Okay thank you!
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I would look at photoshop elements 9.0, it has most of the tools most photographers use and right now it has a mail-in rebate that brings it down to like 60-70$. It has most of the photoshop tools most photographers use and is simplified in use.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:18 PM   #5

I have Photoshop Elements 7. I don't think I'd be going out on a limb by saying it's the same Photoshop (CS) minus some features that are so far advanced you won't ever use them. You can still buy PSE7 cheap but it is probably "OEM" and you will get just the disc. (Which is probably what you get minus the air inside the boxed version anyway...)

But as Hards80 said, for a few dollars more, you can get the latest PSE9. PSE supports layers and plug-ins so there's plenty of room for growth.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:22 PM   #6

Thank you both! I was looking into buying Photoshop Elements but I wasn't sure about. I'll have to look more into it
Old Jan 29, 2011, 9:11 PM   #7

I have been a long time Paintshop Pro user - since shareware days through Corels Pro X. It will do most of what Photoshop can do. You can thank Painshop for the existence of Photoshop Elements because Adobe had to have something for that price segment that was equally feature rich.

I have tranistion over to Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3. If I was starting today, would look strongly at Photoshop Elements v9 just released. You can find it on sale around $70, plus if you decide to upgrade to Photoshop, Adobe has a $100 upgrade rebate from Elements. They also have a weird upgrade rule that to be eligible, the software must be no greater than 2 generations old, so Elements v6 and earlier is not eligible, and v9 would no longer be eligible when thever they release v12.

Incidently, with both Adoobe and Corel, you can download a fully functional 30 day trial of theor software, with multiple computers and careful timing, you can extend that trial as it is based on the registry entries in the computer when installed. That also gives you the time to wait for the sales, and not pay $99.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:02 PM   #8

Hi, You may consider going down the Ebay route and looking for Photoshop CS or CS2 sometimes you can pick them up cheap and maybe (not sure) later you can upgrade from Adobe without buying the full product.
Russ
russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:31 PM   #9

if you are a mac user aperture 3
Old Feb 5, 2011, 4:57 PM   #10

Gimp...its free and about like photoshop and can use many of photoshops scripts and plugins