Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:41 PM   #1

Default shooting sports (do I need cs 5)

Hello folks , I shot a variety of things (wildlife , landscape , my children , outdoorsports , and Hockey) I find with hockey I need to edit the most . Limited to what lenses i own (70-300 is canon hopefully soon 70-200 l 2.8) i found the noise reduction with lightroom to be great.(trialing LR) and more of it's editing tolls are really nice too. I am inquiring about a new puter as well ,I noticed dell offers cs-5 . I really don't know the bulk of how they differ or if cs-5 includes all the editing features that lightroom has .

What are the advantages of CS -5 over lightroom?

It seems this hobby for me is getting more and more serious and I am striving for the ultimate shots .

I am wondering if i buy lightroom , if i will down the road wish i would have bought CS-5.I guess my lack of understanding of the two isn't helping ,but i hate to buy stuff and later wish i would have gone the other way.I would like to make an informed decision

anyone able to help with this ?? Thanks
jmp2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:50 PM   #2

My opinion is:
- Lightroom is mainly for large work loads where you need to view large amounts of photos and do both soft and hard edits.
- I only use Lightroom to edit RAW images otherwise all other images are edited through Photoshop.
- Photoshop is for small workloads where high attention to detail is not always required.

Personally I run with both and they work well with each other. My processing layout is something along the lines of:
- Load photos onto a folder when you get home,
- Import them into Lightroom,
- Do a soft edit at full view,
- Do a soft edit at 100% zoom,
- Export images into folder,
- Open Photoshop and do hard edit.
Kronnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 7:28 PM   #3

Kronnic gives a good synopsis. Lightroom is great for working with large groups of photos, a good selection of editing tools, but no where near the editing tools of photoshop. An area where Lightroom excells is management scoring to weed out to just the keepers. Another area is the universal "sync" of edits over multiple selected files. Photoshop is one file at a time. Likewise, Photoshop Elements is one file at a time and may be all that you need in addition to Lightroom. There is also very little risk as Adobe (US and I think Canada) offers a $100 rebate on upgrade from Elements to full Photoshop, and you can usually find Elements less than $100.

Also, all three programs have 30 day trials that are separate from each other, plus you can actually stretch that to 60 days. The trial is computer based, so if the initial trial was on your old computer, a new trial should load on your new computer as I don'tbelive the registry entries will transfer is you transfer your files from one to another.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:58 PM   #4

I have both LR and CS4 (haven't upgraded to CS5, may skip it for CS6 whenever it comes out). While I could probably manage what I do now by using CS4 and Bridge, it's easier with LR and CS4. There are tools I like better in LR (cropping, straightening, white balance changes and some tone adjustments) but that can be done in CS4. The ability to adjust more than one picture at a time is very useful (accidentally leave the white balance wrong for a batch - correct the first one then select the rest and apply the same correction, all fixed in a second). But there are lots of things in CS4 I use on a regular basis that are not possible with LR (things that need layers and layer masks, for instance). I know that there are those who have LR only and seem to be happy, but I'd want to have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements also.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:16 AM   #5

will cs 5 do all the editing that LR will? eg noise reduction ?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:18 AM   #6

I appreciate the input .I ordered cs 5..Thanks Kevin
Old Apr 6, 2011, 8:21 AM   #7

Make sure you take the time to go through some of the tutorials out there - photoshop isn't the most intuitive program out there if you are totally new to it. Not as bad as the first time I looked at AutoCAD, but also not all that far off. It's not difficult to learn and it's quite logical, but its also not obvious from looking at the opening screen what you should do.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2011, 2:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Make sure you take the time to go through some of the tutorials out there - photoshop isn't the most intuitive program out there if you are totally new to it. Not as bad as the first time I looked at AutoCAD, but also not all that far off. It's not difficult to learn and it's quite logical, but its also not obvious from looking at the opening screen what you should do.
It's not lightroom is it