Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 13, 2011, 11:45 AM   #1

Default Help me understand Photoshop CS5 and Photoshop Lightroom 3 Please

Ok,

I think I know what photoshop does, but I am wondering what Lightroom 3 does. Is it best to have both or do I just need LR3?

I would like to buy some good software for my wife to use with her new Nikon D3100. Everything points to Photoshop, but which one CS5 or LR3? I believe that we qualify for the student versions so that will help with the price.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chip
Chiptouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2011, 1:47 PM   #2

Here's a good answer:
http://thelightroomlab.com/2010/01/l...-vs-photoshop/
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 2:14 PM   #3

Although the above link does have some valid points, I would like to take exception to this line and the paragraph that follows it in the article:

"Photoshop rocks, but it is not an organizer of digital images. Photoshop is useless when you need to find your favorite images. Searching, sorting, and organizing are not part of its capabilities. These are Lightroom’s strengths."

Because Bridge is part of Photoshop, and Bridge does all of those things that the author of this article claims can only be done by Lightroom, the author is mistaken in his claims. Bridge (part of PS) can do batch file renaming, raw conversion, download from memory card etc. Photoshop is by far the more comprehensive program. If you never intend to get into the more complex side of image editing, you can probably be happy with Lightroom as an image asset management tool.
diverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 9:39 PM   #4

Since you can get the student versions of the programs, I'd get both. There are things that LR does better than either Bridge or Photoshop, and other things that can only be done in Photoshop. The academic discount makes it reasonable to own both (I have both and couldn't imagine being without either one).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 3:56 PM   #5

I do 99% of my post-processing in Lightroom. Once you learn it then it truly makes the most common edits really fast. I love LR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdave View Post
Because Bridge is part of Photoshop, and Bridge does all of those things that the author of this article claims can only be done by Lightroom, the author is mistaken in his claims. Bridge (part of PS) can do batch file renaming, raw conversion, download from memory card etc. Photoshop is by far the more comprehensive program. If you never intend to get into the more complex side of image editing, you can probably be happy with Lightroom as an image asset management tool.
Then there's this :
http://lightroomkillertips.com/2011/...photographers/

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote