Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 15, 2011, 4:12 PM   #1

Default How to edit backgrounds within a photo using ACDSee PE 2008?

Well, I'm hoping this is relatively easy to do but I'm a super noob when it comes to image editing.

What I want to do is make the "background" of a jpeg a solid color while preserving the "foreground" (e.g. the foreground is a person).

The editor I have is ACDSee Photo Editor 2008. I've tried using the Magic Wand Tool to select and then cut out the background but... this is not 100% precise and kind of time consuming.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2011, 12:40 PM   #2

I am not at all familiar with ACDsee, so can only offer generic advice. Since you have the Magic Wand tool, you may also have a 'Mask' tool as well. The way I usually do this, is to start with the Magic Wand for a rough outline, the switch to Mask, to refine the selection. With my editor, I can then convert the selection to an object, and save it to paste into another photo or background.
Topaz Labs has a Remask plugin, which is supposed to make the task easier, but I haven't used it. (your editor would have to be able to use Adobe plugins)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 8:32 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I fiddled around a bit more and can't quite get what I want. Or it's too time consuming.

I suppose it's not that important.
pickle is offline   Reply With Quote