Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:14 PM   #1

Default Un-wanted color

Hi attached is a picture I took at the Zoo, and you can see a Leave in the lower right corner. I want to remove it as much as I can, without cropping the image too much. Change of color better that cropping.

Please help.
Attached Images

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Autofocus
http://razzi.me/zuken

Last edited by Zuken; Jun 13, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
Zuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2011, 4:01 PM   #2

It looks like perhaps you had some green vegetation, like a stalk of grass (or some such thing) closer to the camera and of course its out of the focal range of the lens.
I've had the same thing happen to me several times.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:29 PM   #3

What post processing program do you use? I played around with it a bit in CS4 - I first copied the background layer and went to work on that. I used the clone tool, set it to color mode instead of normal. That will paint color over the spot, but not change the picture otherwise. Then I chose the lion's face for the color and cloned/painted over the green. I thought it was too light, still quite distracting, so I added a layers adjustment layer to darken the corner (and everything else). Once I got the corner better I painted black on the adjustment layer to block it from the rest of the picture. The software you used to downsize the picture made it look a little soft, so I used Detail to sharpen it, but perhaps got too carried away. It took me about 15 or 20 minutes of playing around since I tried a couple of other things (selective color changed too much in the picture to be useful in my opinion, and then tried to clone luminosity to darken but didn't have enough of the lion's body to use).

The fault is still there, but I thought it was better than the green leaf. Anyway, if you think it's horrible let me know and I'll take it down.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:06 AM   #4

Hi Zuken.

I like this kind of challenge. . .

I've attached my try at it, using PSPPX2, the clone brush first in color mode, then in darken mode, then I selectively sharpened the very smooth formerly green area to add some texture, then went over it with a medium light application of the soften brush to smooth it back down.

I think it would pass casual inspection, but not much more. . .

Scott
Attached Images

Last edited by snostorm; Jun 14, 2011 at 1:14 AM.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:19 AM   #5

Harriet,

I came up with kind of the same results in CS3, but a little les detailed in the hair part. Thinking on what you did, if you use the color replacing tool first, I think will be a better result.

Scott,
That was a awesome job. I will have to combine the two of you and see what can I get.

GW, Yes it is a leave from a tree. The problem here is just to my left it was a person standing and commenting on the picture I was taking, and I show the picture with the leave on it, to see if that person will move and allow me to take the right angle, but did not happen. SHE NEVER MOVE . I was on my way out and mi kids where waiting for me.

I will post the result of both techniques

Armando
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:37 AM   #6

Scott's edit is much better than mine, I like how he brought in more texture. I thought about trying to clone in some hair but there's really not enough of it elsewhere in the picture to make it work well, without spending a significant amount of time on it.

The person who didn't move probably thought you were just a horrible photographer for having that green bit in it. She probably never thought about the fact that she was the cause! I do occasionally get carried away and thoughtless when taking pictures, hogging the spot I want for much longer than I should. Especially if its a grand view at some national park and I am just drinking in the glorious sight, as tonic for my soul.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:10 AM   #7

Harriet,

I can see your point, and that you can get carry out by the scene, but must people try to help when you are taking a picture. They move out of the way or wait for you to take the picture, but this person, wasn't even looking at the lions, her back was against the fence, looking away.

I will post a series from the Zoo tonight in the regular forum.

I appreciated everyone comment on the series

Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:20 AM   #8

Here after using Scott's base picture and Harriet's approach. I used the color raplace tool. I will try some more with CS5 and Mask.

Thanks Scott.
Attached Images

Last edited by Zuken; Jun 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:49 PM   #9

It seems like there are always out-of-focus leaves and such in the way of nearly every great "critter picture!"

Some really fine "repair" work here - thanks for sharing the results!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 9:06 AM   #10

I selected a portion of the mane from the left side (as we look at it), flipped horizontal and positioned on the right side. Masked unwanted bits around the mouth/chin area.
Colour replacement brush over the chin whiskers and all over the remaining body area, to give a better base.
Then using the Patch tool, I selected smallish areas of the body and dragged up to the 'clean' area. Built this up with several selections and darkened a touch with Levels.
Thought the post/tree behind was a distraction, so got rid. Burned the background to solid black, then sharpened the Lion slightly.

I thought this looked pretty good with a canvas texture too (the subject that is, not my efforts :-) )

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote