Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Aug 21, 2011, 9:06 AM   #1

Default The disk in drive F is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?

I have images in my sdhc card.(digi cam)
but when i insert it in usb port n click on the drive in my computer
it says "The disk in drive F is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"
is there any way i can recover my data
please help
livinggourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2011, 9:19 AM   #2
Administrator

Please be more specific. What are you inserting into your USB port?

Are you plugging your camera into a USB port, or are you using a card reader?

What camera model is it? Has it got a USB Mode setting under it's Setup Menus? If so, have you tried setting it to USB Mass Storage versus PTP?

If you're using a card reader instead of a camera, do you know if it supports SDHC cards? May card readers will not support SDHC Cards, because they were designed to the older SD 1.1 specification and will only work with Secure Digital (not Secure Digital High Capacity) cards.

What brand/size card is it?

What operating system are you using?

You're not giving us enough information to tell what you're doing and what may be going wrong.

But, if your computer can't see the photos wiith the camera directly attached to a USB Port (after you make sure the camera is setup for USB Mass Storage Mode versus PTP), a good first step is to try using the card in a card reader that is known to be compatible with SDHC Cards (many are *not* and will only work with SD cards).

Let us know more about what you have (camera type, card reader, computer operating system, etc.) for better responses.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 9:42 AM   #3
Administrator

I see you started another thread this way:

Quote:
My 4gb SDHC card (canon camera) is corrupt ..
i need to recover all images..
Plz suggest a best software
In order to help you, we need to know what Canon camera you have (the specific model). That's because many Canon camera models are not able to set their USB mode to USB Mass Storage, making them useless for recovering images.

If you camera is like that (ptp/pictbridge only via USB), you'll need to use a card reader that is compatible with SDHC cards to retrieve your images. Also note that not all Secure Digital readers are compatible with SDHC cards. So, make sure the one you use is (it should specifically support SD 2.0 or higher specifications, as readers designed to the SD 1.1 specification are not going to work with newer SDHC cards).

Then, see this thread for how to use free software to recover your images.

Recovering Images or Video from Memory Cards

But, if your Canon camera model does not have a setting for USB Mass Storage Mode (check it's setup menus to find out), then it's not going to work as a card reader for image recovery purposes (since it would be using a PTP protocol for image transfer instead).

In that case, you'd need to use a separate card reader that is SDHC compatible (and not all Secure Digital readers will work with Secure Digital High Capacity Cards).
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:04 AM   #4

Default @ JimC

Sorry for incomplete information,

Camera details
canon powershot a495
memorary card : kingston 4GB SDHC class 4
Operating system : Windows XP SP2
Antivirus :eset smart security (tried after disabling also)

Are you plugging your camera into a USB port, or are you using a card reader?
m using card reader, I think card reader support SDHC Cards as i have used it earlier for the same card.
There seem to be some problem with the card as this has happened for the second time.

list of software i hav already tried without any success:
(most of them are trial version)

PC Inspector smart recovery (recovered only 5 pics)
PC Inspector File Recovery
Recover My Photos v4
Zero Assumption Recovery
001Micron Digital Camera Recovery(Demo)
Restorer Ultimate
Odin Data Recovery Professional
EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional 5.5.1
MiniTool Power Data Recovery 6.5
mmCard Recovery
Smart Data Recovery
PhotoRec (recocered 5-6 pics same as PC Inspector smart recovery)

I did take it to local service center
they said v can only recover deleted data
and that if i format the card i might loose all the images.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:44 AM   #5
Administrator

gotcha.

Are you seeing any errors while any of them are trying to read the card (are they stopping saying sector read error, timeout, or anything like that)?

Be careful and do *not* use any utility that writes to the card or tries to fix the file system. You only want to do that kind of thing with a copy of it, not your original card. Otherwise, you risk destroying some of the data that may still be recoverable on it.

Have you got a high speed connection with a DVD burner? If so, download the .iso file for the 32 bit version of SimplyMEPIS 11 from this link:

ftp://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/me...11.0.00_32.iso

Burn it to DVD using a tool that knows how to create a bootable image. Here's one that you can use. after you install it and "right click" on any .iso file from within windows explorer, you'll see a new menu option to "Copy Image to CD/DVD". Just use that choice to burn the Mepis .iso file you downloaded to DVD.

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Then, reboot into it (it's an operating system that can run from DVD). With most PCs, you can press a key at startup and select a boot device (Esc, F12, or something similar). It varies by PC. Or, you can go into your BIOS Setup an change the boot order so that the DVD Drive is first in the list. That way, if a bootable disk is in the drive, it will boot from it after a restart. Many PCs come that way by default (CD/DVD drive is first in the boot order list, first hard drive is second in the list). But, if it doesn't boot into the DVD, you may need to change your boot order in BIOS.

Then, once you boot into Mepis 11 and login to a desktop (demo is the user name, demo is the password), click on your start menu (icon in left bottom of the panel), open Konsole (a terminal program). You'll find it in the System menus shown as Konsole(Terminal)

Then, what I'd want you to do is plug in your SDHC card using your card reader, and type this from the command prompt in the terminal program you opened. You'll need to type root as the password when prompted for it.

su
fdisk -l
mount

That's going to tell me how your drives and partitions are recognized and labeled in Linux. Then, I'm going to want you to mount your windows partition read/write. That's easy to do.... you can just open dolphin (the icon in your panel that looks like a file cabinet), and click on the icon for it to mount it.

Then, repeat this for me (paste the results you get so I can make sure the correct volume is mounted and I know the mount point it's using):

su
fdisk -l
mount

After that, I'll give you a command to use that will create an exact disk image copy of your sdhc card, saving it to your windows partition. It will look something like this (with some changes to reflect your exact drive labels).

ddrescue /dev/sdb /mnt/sda3/20110821sdb.img sdb.log

Basically, that would be telling a utility to make an exact sector by sector of the second drive in your system (sdb, which is how the card will probably show up) saving it to a file named 20110821sdb.img (and it can be any name you want it to be). The third paramater (sdb.log in that eample) is optional. But, if it's seeng any errors, that lets you start and restop it (so you can let the card cool off between passes) and make more than one pass against it. That way, it keeps track of what's been copied without errors so far, and only retries the areas it hasn't copied OK in subsequent passes.

It's designed for retrieving data from failing drives. But, if you have a "flaky" memory card, sometimes it can be useful for retrieving more data from one, since how they behave will often change with card temperature (so letting them cool off between passes can sometimes let you get more good data from one).

Then, once you get as much data as you can (saved in an image file), you'd run photorec against that image file, just as if it's a physical card. For example, like this would point it to a file named 20110821sdb.img saved to the third partition on the first drive in the system. But, in order to know how your drives and partitions show up, you'll need to open a terminal and type a few commands for me (as in the above examples).

photorec /mnt/sda3/20110821sdb.img

The benefit of doing it that way is that we're working on an exact copy of the original card, but free of any physical sector errors that were being encountered by the programs being used to recover images (since those would not be present on the new drive it's being saved to), and making a copy of it using ddrescue can usually get a better copy of it (since it can make multiple passes and try to work around errors to get as much as it can from the card). Then, utilities like photorec don't have to work with a source with any "hard errors" (and only have to deal with any remaining file system errors instead).

Here's a thread showing an example of using ddrescue and photorec that way (my posts at the bottom of this page show output from those programs retrieving data from a card with lots of errors on it):

Card not initialised

If you're seeing any read errors at all on the card, that's what I'd do (get the best copy I could of it using ddrescue, then run utilities like photorec against that copy, since the copy won't have any physical sector errors in it that recovery programs would need to deal with).

If that sounds too complicated and you don't have a DVD writer, let me know and there are smaller and lighter distros that can be used from either CD or from a USB flash drive. It's not as hard as it sounds. It's just a matter of making sure you know how your drives show up and how they're mounted (via the fdisk -l and mount commands) so we know where to point the utilities to copy your card from/to so we can retrieve data from that copy using other utilities like photorec.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:52 AM   #6

I get errors like bad sector
n on clicking properties
i get the size as zero as shown in snap
http://postimage.org/image/1bd9ab9gk/
hope the data is still in there

i am downloading the os Mepis 11.0
it will take time...
I ll read the steps 2-3 time n try to do..
i ll report back tomorrow
Thnx for ur time
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Administrator

Once you boot into Mepis, login in as guest using a password of guest

Then, after you get to the desktop, plug in your card reader and sdhc card. Then, open Konsole (terminal program that you'll find in the menus under system) and type this. You'll need to type in root when prompted for a password (su tells it to use superuser permissions and you'll need a root password, which is root from a live dvd)

su
fdisk -l
mount

Then, copy and paste the results of those commands into a forum post here and I'll let you know what type next so you can copy the card to a disk image file using ddrescue.

You'll find Firefox in the menus under the Internet section that you can use for logging into the forums and posting what you get into posts so I can let you know what syntax to use to copy your card (which will depend on how it shows up) and what syntax to use for photorec. The commands needed will vary based on how your drives are setup (that will vary by PC, how drives are partitioned, and more).
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:44 AM   #8

Default facing problem

when i boot
mepis screen appears with options like default, trobleshoot etc

clicking on default
i get screen like (cmd prompt)

with msg

Can't find MEPIS filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.

/static/ash: can't access tty; job control turned off

plz help
n sorry for late reply...
spending way too much hrs at office
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Administrator

Hmmmm....

What kind of PC is it?

Sometimes, a PC may not have all devices initialized fast enough when you try to boot into Mepis, and you may need to add a delay.

Reboot and when you get to the Live DVD's boot choices, press the Tab Key and type this:

rootdelay=20

Then, press the Enter key and see if it loads OK or not.

If not, give me more info about the PC. You may also have a bad download or bad burn (errors in the download, or errors on the DVD itself).

If you go to the online manual, you'll find information about how to check the download and burn to make sure they don't have any errors. Start here, and you'll see a section on how to check the md5sum of the downloaded .iso file:

http://www.mepiscommunity.org/user_m...ml#section02-2

Go here, and you'll see a section on software to use in order to check the md5sum of the dvd you burned:

http://www.mepiscommunity.org/user_m...ml#section02-3

If you have a bad download (md5sum of the .iso file doesn't match up to what it's supposed to be), you'll need to try downloading it again.

If the .iso file is good (md5sum matches up), but the dvd is bad (md5sum does not match up, meaning your burn resulted in a dvd with errors), you'll need to try burning another copy.

If you used the download I mentioned earlier for the 32 bit version of Mepis 11, it's md5sum should be this:

da06883556f83e27e0053dba310f7267

You'll see a link to it's md5sum files this press release for Mepis 11:

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=06664

But, chances are, a rootdelay parameter is what's needed versus you having a bad download, provided your PC has enough memory for Mepis 11 to run OK.

You'll see some discussion of your problem in this thread:

http://www.mepiscommunity.org/forum/...ic.php?t=30476

If that doesn't work, and the download and burn to DVD are all good (md5sum matches up meaning you don't have any errors) then we can use a different Linux distribution instead. Just give me more info on your PC (brand/model, amount of memory installed) and I'll try to pick one that will work OK on it (but most will not have ddrescue preinstalled, so we'll need to make sure you have an internet connection that will work with a non Mepis distribution that doesn't have ddrescue already installed).
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:56 AM   #10

Hi Jim,

I burned the dvd again with the lowest possible speed and it worked

i followed the step and i got this
plz click the link for screen shot

http://postimage.org/image/1xs1jeuv8/

kindly tell me the next step