Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Sep 25, 2011, 1:42 PM   #1

Default Easy to use But effective noise removal software?

Hi, I need a noise removal tool, effective but easy to use as I am not that computer savvy.
Best if it can be used as aperture 3 Plugin.
Some contenders are:
Nik Dfine
Topas Denoise,

So which is easier to use specially in a Mac environment?

Thanks a lot

Maria
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2011, 6:00 PM   #2

I've used both Nik and Topaz in Lightroom. Both work OK, but I prefer Topaz. I find that it retains detail a bit more than Nik and is just as effective with reducing noise. The other thing I like is that you can use Topaz in Aperture, Lightroom and Photoshop/Photoshop Elements in the same version, while Nik charges more for a version that works with Photoshop. Nik's software has fewer adjustment sliders, but you can use their control points to adjust different parts of the picture. If I think I want to apply noise reduction to only part of a picture when using DeNoise, I'll do it in Photoshop and use layers - that way I can change things if I decide I don't like how I did it originally.

Both are available as free trials - my recommendation is to download both and play with them, then decide which will work well for you. I made the mistake of buying Noise Ninja before trying it, and was very disappointed with it. Others could get great results with it, but I could never could.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 6:36 PM   #3

I will second the recommendation for Topaz. I have used some others, including Neat Image, which is very good, but takes a bit more time to get profiled for each camera and set of conditions. Topaz is very simple to use, and works with my editing software quite seamlessly.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:57 PM   #4

I am hung up on NIK'S Dfine. It is part of my normal workload. I mainly use PSPX4 as well as CS5. I have noise ninja, and neat image, and Kodak Digital Gem. but dfine is my favorite and the one I use almost exclusively. Actually the new PaintShopPro X4's built in Digital Noise removal is pretty dern good. check out my stuff at www.thegreygeek.us
Bob
Thegreygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:10 PM   #5

Thanks a lot.. I have just downloaded topaz denoise, and so far I like it...
What are your thoughts about the other topaz programs?
Anything worth trying now with the free trial?

ME
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:38 PM   #6

Topaz' InFocus does a very good job of sharpening and deblurring. Takes care of misfocus as well as motion blur problems. A really good addition for getting that last bit of sharpness without artifacts.

brian
Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:55 PM   #7

Default sharpening

Focusmagic has been part of my normal workload,but now you tweaked my interest in Topaz! I will try it! Have you compared it to focus magic?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:12 PM   #8

I tried out Focusmagic some time ago and liked it, but have found the Topaz plugin to be better at removing artifacts. It seemed that Focusmagic had a better range of motion blur removal, though, IIRC.

brian
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:19 PM   #9

Default Topaz

I spent a lot of time yesterday trying all of the Topaz plugins. And.... Still like Focus Magic over InFocus... mainly I'm too lazy to make all the adjustments in InFocus, whereas I just automatically do a FocusMagic setting of 1 to allmost all of my images. If the image is badly out of focus, It's probably better to trash it! Unless of course, it happens to be one-of-a-kind and non repeatable? Then, yep use any and all to fix it.

Todays adventure has been Topaz Remask 3: Now that is the plugin to have, it does extraction better than any other product I have ever tried. Wish I had it a few months ago.

You can go nuts with all these plugins, probably better to focus on taking better pictures.

www.thegreygeek.us

Bob