Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 13, 2011, 2:34 PM   #1

Default Lightroom as an organizing tool

I've been using Lightroom for quite sometime. Now, I'm looking for some advice on how to use it more efficiently.

It seems like I read a piece by Scott Kelby (I think??) where the writer said that he has only 1 file into which he stores all of his RAW files.

At the time I read that I was really confused, so I didn't attempt it.

Now, I can't find the article.

Anyway, here's my question: If I have 5,000 photos in RAW, in 1 file in Lightroom, then when I open won't that slow Lightroom down to a crawl?

I must be missing something or mis-understanding something.

Can you help me out?
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:18 PM   #2

No. You sort your lightroom files by collections, not by file folders. You should get into a workflow in which one of the first steps is placing your pictures into a collection. I do this after import and after I do my initial sifting through the pictures. Let me back up. First I import. Then I immediately go through that particular import using the shortcut keys to flag (P) or reject (x) every single photo. This is just the initial sifting to get rid of the photos that you are totally sure that you don't want upon initial inspection. After that I Delete rejected photos using the menu command. Then I select all flagged photos, create a collection that describes them ("County Fair 2011" for instance) and then I add all selected photos (the ones that were flagged and that I just selected) to that collection. Then when I want to go back and look at that collection it only opens the photos in that collection regardless of what folder they are in. Once you place the flagged photos into the collection the flags are automatically removed and later on if you want to do a more thorough sifting you can go through again and flag the very best ones and reject the rest or whatever. Working from collections is much more efficient. When I first started working from lightroom I tried working from folders.. it's for the birds!

I hope that you that find my explanation useful in some way. Kelby's Lightroom book is such a great buy in my opinion. If you decide to invest in it you'll find it much cheaper online from B&N or Amazon than it is on the shelf in a B&N bookstore.

BTW, I don't put all my RAWs in one single file folder but it wouldn't matter that much if I did or not since I'm using collections. Also, if you are putting all your RAWs in one file then you probably need to have a step in your workflow in which you are using the autonaming feature of Lightroom to give all of your RAW files names that make sense for the purpose of sorting and future searches and whatnot. Though that would be useful also even if they were not in one single folder.

brad

Last edited by DigMe; Oct 13, 2011 at 10:31 PM.
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:05 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I think Kelby is an idiot.

Check out the luminous landscape video tutorials. They have one for Lightroom in general and one specifically for organising/database functionality. (Where the &%*! are my pictures.)

Both are excellent.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:56 PM   #4

Name calling is never really productive but regardless of what you think of Kelby he offers an excellent workflow through Lightroom. Maybe you could mention what you feel is wrong with his workflow since that is the topic of conversation.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 3:07 PM   #5
Super Moderator

He may well know something about LR workflow. And for all I know his books may be excellent.

My opinion of him is based on his on-line videos in which I find him to be vacuous and rather unpleasant. Which of course does NOT mean that he doesn't write good tutorials. Your point is well made.

I continue to recommend the video tutorials by Jeff Schewe and Seth Resnick (with Michael Reichmann) however. Their expertise is beyond question.

[Edit] I just had a quick look through Kelby's book - it's fine. Fairly basic though, and barely skims the surface of the database features of LR. The Resnick tutorial goes into things in far greater detail. It may be more than most people need, but it's also pretty entertaining.

YMMV of course.

Last edited by peripatetic; Oct 19, 2011 at 3:29 PM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote