Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 8, 2011, 1:24 PM   #1

Default Removing dirt, actual dirt, from a photo.

I am trying to restore flood damaged pictures from a wedding album. THere is noticable dirt on every picture. It was mud that had been washed off while still wet as well as possible. There is still a residue that I can't seem to remove both physically and digitally. I rewet some test areas but for the most part it did not wipe off. I have photo lab background that isnt helping here.
In PS I tried everything from healing brushes to burning it etc with little to no luck. The problem being the dirt is a brownish color and it covers over a lot of different colors so its hard to erase it.

I can easily get rid of the yellow spots thats not the issue. (Atleast its easier to do this.)

Can you guys point me to any ideas no matter how wacky? Thanks!
thewalrusking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2011, 1:27 PM   #2

I think it can be done with time & patience using cloning, dodge & burn. I'm sure there is probably some magical software out there that will do it automatically, but I'm just not aware of it. I've copied your image and will see what I can do with it in Gimp.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 1:51 PM   #3

I had a go at it for about 15-20 minutes. I was working with a fairly small image so I can tell you it's pretty tedious but, you should be able to get pretty close to what it was... if not better. I worked mainly in the upper left but did some playing with other portions to see how things would work out.

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:57 PM   #4

The scratch removal tool (photoimpact) does a pretty fair job of getting rid of the speckles. As for the smoky looking discoloration, I tried cloning with the airbush setting. Just did a quick touch-up. With some time and patience, it could look quite a bit better.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote