Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:13 AM   #1

Default Elements 8 Question

I recently bought a new printer and a copy of Elements 8 was included. I am puzzled on the organizer. Every photo editor program I've used showed all my picture folders/sub folders in a sidebar to the left of the window. It was easy to just click on a folder and I could view all my pictures at once. Is this the way Elements is? I went to import pictures and it wouldn't even let me import the entire folder, I had to select the pictures and the only way to get them off the screen is to select and "remove from catalog". I'm hoping this isn't the way Elements works, it seems backwards. For now, I'm hesitant to delete my Canon Digital Photo Professional Program.

Thanks!
James
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:21 AM   #2

I don't use elements but I would recommend picking up a basic book that walks you through an Elements workflow. Once you get into programs that are more powerful than those that are included with your camera then things change but it's typically worth your while to learn.

This one is probably a really solid workflow book:
http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Elem.../dp/0321660331

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:51 AM   #3

I picked up a used copy of that same book, only it's Elements 7. I didn't see anywhere in the book where they showed your photo folders on a side bar. It almost appears that you have to make albums, thus starting all over. Thanks for your input though. Appreciated.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:45 AM   #4

The "Organizer" in Elements is actually a separate program from the editor, they are just tied together. Organizers are built around their catalogs, which are a kind of database. If the photo isn't in the catalog, then the organizer will not display it. I'm not thrilled with the way the Elements Organizer works either. If an organizer is what you need, some other budget ones to look into are Photo Manager by ACDsee, Picasa by Google, and Zoner Photo Studio by Zoner. Light Room by Adobe is the most popular, if your budget stretches that far.

The editor side of Elements should allow access to any file, exactly like any other editor. Under no circumstances would I delete the Canon DPP editor. DPP has tools that sync with the Canon camera features, which no other editor duplicates well. My routine is to start my image in DPP for the basic adjustments, plus the unique Canon tools like Auto Lighting. Then, if further PP is needed, pass the image on to my Elements editor as a JPG or TIFF file.

Kelly Cook
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:57 AM   #5

I no longer have my Canon DSLR 40D. I sold that and some lenses and went the Olympus micro 43 route. My wife has a nice Canon point and shoot camera. I guess I'll just use the editor if I want to do something I cannot do with the Canon program. Problem I have is that DPP does not recognize Olympus RAW files even though I have the Olympus RAW codec installed on my machine. I haven't tried opening an Olympus RAW file with Elements yet, but I'm assuming it should work.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
...I haven't tried opening an Olympus RAW file with Elements yet, but I'm assuming it should work.
Actually, your EP-L2 wasn't added to Adobe Camera Raw until Version 6.4.

Elements 8 only supports Adobe Camera RAW versions 6.2 and earlier.

So, if you want to use Elements with raw files from your EP-L2, you'd need to upgrade to Elements 9 or later (Elements 8 is not going to work with raw files from the EP-L2, since the Adobe Camera Raw plugin versions that support that camera are not compatible with Elements 8)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:19 AM   #7

Mmmm, I was able to bring up a RAW file taken with my old Canon DSLR and it allowed me to edit and save. Oops, I now see what you are saying, it won't bring up my Olympus RAW files unless I go with 9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Actually, your EP-L2 wasn't added to Adobe Camera Raw until Version 6.4.

Elements 8 only supports Adobe Camera RAW versions 6.2 and earlier.

So, if you want to use Elements with raw files from your EP-L2, you'd need to upgrade to Elements 9 or later (Elements 8 is not going to work with raw files from the EP-L2, since the Adobe Camera Raw plugin versions that support that camera are not compatible with Elements 8)
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:54 PM   #8

I don't know if it has been changed, but I have Elements 3 on my XP machine, and the organizer that is installed with Elements uses a DLL which continuously searches your hard drive for images, so every time I restarted the computer, or switched users, it would search through the entire drive for any new images, taking considerable time to do it. I had to disable that process in order to be able to use the computer in a reasonable length of time. (even though I never actually used the program, it took up a lot of resources)
I much prefer Photo Explorer, which came with my Photoimpact, or Irfanview thumbnails. Irfanview is usually pretty up-to-date for Raw file viewing.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:38 AM   #9

Thanks Brian, much appreciated.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:13 PM   #10

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I use PSE 8, but only for editing. I found the organizerr to be very cumbersome and after giving it the ole college try, I abandoned it altogether. I have set up folders in "My Pictures" within Windows which works well for me, albiet without the ability to catalog by subject, person, etc. Fortunately, my needs in this area are minimal. I use Fastone for a browser/mass editor--it's freeware and (to me) very intuitive and easy.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote