Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:50 PM   #1

Default Adobe no longer giving Photoshop CS upgrade pricing for older versions (article)

Here's their blog post about it: http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations...ml?PID=2159997

Basically, if you want to continue to be able to pay $199 to upgrade to the newest full Photoshop version, you will have to have the latest version when a new one comes out. No more waiting 2-3 versions for upgrades any longer, or you'll have to pay full price. You have until December 31st per the article to upgrade to CS5 if you want to be able to get CS6 when it comes out at the discounted upgrade price.
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:33 PM   #2
Administrator

There are many articles "around the net" protesting this move by Adobe.

Scott Kelby's Open Letter to Adobe is one good example:

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2011/archives/22903

Adobe seems to be going through some tough times and making what I'd consider to be drastic changes, as I noticed when they finally gave up the fight to keep Flash Player on Mobile devices about a month ago and apparently decided to start reducing their staff. See this article about it:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/11/...-flash-mobile/

But, a business in trouble is not going to win any friends by increasing prices (and I think the changes they're proposing for upgrade eligibility are going to be perceived as exactly that). So, I think they're probably "shooting themselves in the foot" with their new pricing model, wrongly assuming that a subscription plan is going to sell well, as it appears they're looking at doing going forward.

There are just too many alternatives to Adobe products for most purposes now, and the list is growing all the time. Sure, for some "die hard" artists, nothing else will do. But, for many other current (or should I say former) Adobe users, I suspect that other products can fill their needs nicely.

Frankly, I'm hoping that more developers will start helping out with some of the Open Source Projects like the GIMP in protest to the pricing structure changes, as I'm starting to see more potential in it with the latest 2.7.x preview releases under Linux (for example, I've got a 2.7.2 GIMP Preview (Development Snapshot) build installed under Linux on a desktop now looking at it), where they're finally adopting single window functionality, color management and more. Hopefully, those changes will be optimized and end up in a Stable release for multiple platforms soon (as I'd expect most of the changes in the Preview/Developer builds to be incorporated into an upcoming 2.8 release at some point)

So, as more users abandon Adobe products due to pricing structure changes, the user base of alternative products should grow, and the more users of other products, the better, with increased feedback and support to help products competing with Photoshop improve over time.

Competition is good for the industry, and it looks like Adobe is inviting it. IMO, they're going to regret the changes they're making.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:11 AM   #3

Adobe has done a good job of listening to its customers when it comes to its creative line of products. I'm kinda thinking that all this uproar MAY just change minds there but I guess we'll see. Aside from Kelby and other blogs it has also been mentioned on every podcast I've listened to, etc..

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:15 AM   #4

For the most part these days I think most photographers including professionals can do everything they need with Lightroom and Photoshop Elements. Seriously... what else does the average photographer need when you combine all the power of Lightroom with the layering, content-aware fill and other capabilities of Elements? (That's an actual question - not rhetorical.. I would really like to know if there's something huge in CS5 that I'm missing out on) I know it has a good sharpening brush but I'm doing fine with my current sharpening solutions. It may not sound as cool or "Professional" to say you use Elements instead of CS5 but unless you're doing 3D or using Photoshop for your HDR I'm not seeing a lot of reason to spend the money.

brad
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:57 AM   #5

Graphics Design. I have always looked a Photoshop as a tool for graphics design pros, rather than something for photographers. The original concept was to be able to import photos into a graphics program and manipulate them for marketing use. For that, it is pretty well tops, though at a high price.
I have been using Photompact for quite a long time, and found it to have about 95% of Photoshop's abilities for about a third the cost, when I bought it. It has way more features than ever needed for photography, but I have done quite a bit of graphics design with it, and still haven't used all its potential.
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:31 AM   #6

^ Absolutely agree on that. I think these days there's not much reason these days for photographers who don't want to do graphic design to buy the full version. My comments were from the pure photography viewpoint.

brad
Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:05 AM   #7

The version of PSE I have on my hubby's computer doesn't support layer masks and when my computer was in the shop I suddenly discovered just how much I use them. There are some other things that I find I like better in CS4 (the version of photoshop I have) than in Lightroom (which I also use).

I wish they would release the pricing (both the retail and the academic version) - usually the academic pricing is about the same as the upgrade, and since I'm eligible for it, I usually don't bother with the upgrade (if you switch machines you have to have both the old and upgrade disks to install it). But this trend makes me wonder if they will continue to offer such a huge discount for those who work for or go to school. There are a couple of things in CS5 that I'd really like to have, it's tempting to use the upgrade restriction to buy it now, rather than waiting to buy CS6.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:35 AM   #8

I have a copy of PSE3 that came bundled with some hardware I purchased a few years back, and played around with. The lack of layer masks is not inherent, just something Adobe left out, and I have seen s/w that allows that functionality. IIRC, photofreeware.net has it available. There were a number of other patches that could be applied to the later versions, as well.
I haven't actually tried this out, as I am not a regular user of PSE. Not a fan of Adobe products in general.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:03 AM   #9

PSE 10 has layer masks. I'm not sure what version first had them.

brad