Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 14, 2012, 6:25 AM   #1

Default Aperture X...?

I'm starting to delve into the world of post processing. First just playing around with iPhoto's included settings, then the non-pro version of Photomatix, and now with an older version of Photoshop Elements (7.0). Since I am currently an Apple user, I thought I'd check out Aperture and see if it would offer significant positive alternatives to PE7.0 - and realized it's been pulled from Apple's website. That made me start surfing around Google to see what I can find out about it...and it seems that the Aperture X rumors are starting to fly again.

Thoughts on this? Are there any Apple users here that are dedicated enough to tell me how the normal timeline works? Do they pull the current product down X days/months prior to the release of the new version? Is this an unusual step for them? I have an Apple gift card that I've been sitting on since Christmas '10 and was thinking of using it on software but am now not so sure. I guess at best it'll just stay in the drawer of the desk for a while...and at worst it'll just stay in the drawer of the desk for a while.

Last edited by Quadna71; Feb 14, 2012 at 6:26 AM. Reason: *spelling
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:37 AM   #2

Hi Quadna if you go to the Mac App store (not the iTunes app store) select Apple apps from the right side box. You will find Aperture under category Photography/Pro. The price is $79 US
Trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:48 AM   #3

Thanks Trainman. I just got off the phone with an Apple rep and she told me the same thing. When I asked about Aperture X she just laughed and said there's nothing that she can tell me about it. Odd. I'm reluctant to try out 3 if X may be available soon. There are so many reviews out there on A3 that are both good and bad that it's hard to say if people are having issues due to their hardware or if it's just the software in general. I would think that if the software was the problem then there'd be considerably more bad reviews than good. But then sometimes people aren't willing to give bad reviews after spending money on something - almost as if they don't want to admit to making a poor choice. Ugh....decisions!
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:16 AM   #4

Quadna I know what you mean about new versions. There is always a new version, when ? I have not heard anything about one. Do not put to much faith in rumors and speculation. If a new version is ever released you can upgrade at minimal cost. Most bad revues are the result of not reading manuals, the biggest problem seems to be monitor calibration. Most people don't do it and some monitors can't be properly calibrated that is not Apertures fault but it is blamed for equipment deficiencies.
Trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:17 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadna71 View Post
...Since I am currently an Apple user, I thought I'd check out Aperture and see if it would offer significant positive alternatives to PE7.0 - and realized it's been pulled from Apple's website.
It looks like it's still there to me. Now, when I searched using Google and found the page for http://www.apple.com/aperture , it looks like a redirect script of some kind intercepted the link to the Aperture Page, resulting in an error (perhaps because I use a hosts file with a lot of advert related sites blocked, and the link from google was using one of those advert or tracking sites). But, when I type the address into a browser address bar, I get to the page for Aperture just fine. This address:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/

I also see a link that you can click on to get a 30 days trial of it at the bottom right of the page (which pops up a box you fill out with more information). So, you may want to download the trial version to see what you think.

You may also want to give products like Adobe Lightroom and Corel AfterShot Pro a try.

With Lightroom, you can get a public beta of the upcoming Lightroom 4 release now. Go here (just setup an account with Adobe if you don't already have one and you can download the latest LR4 Beta version). Just keep in mind that it's still a beta release.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4/

For the current LR3 (production release versus beta), you can download a trial version here (click on the "Try" button).

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/

But, I'd probably just go with the latest LR4 Beta instead.

I'd also suggest giving Corel Aftershot Pro a spin. Get a trial version of it here:

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/i...id=prod4670071

Corel AfterShot Pro is very appealing to me because I use Linux >90% of the time (my computers are setup in multi-boot configs with both Win 7 and multiple linux distributions on them), and the same license key allows you to use it under multiple operating systems (Windows, OS X, Linux).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:43 AM   #6

hi I am a mac user and i use aperture 3 and i really like like it. when i was deciding i did a 30 day trial of both aperture and lightroom . i also use pse9 to do the editing and manipulation that aperture or lightroom cant do.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 4:38 PM   #7

I'm another mac user and highly recommend downloading the free trial before deciding. I made the mistake once of buying a software program (that I didn't try before-hand) and just couldn't get the results others got with it.

I've used Aperture 3 (trial) and really liked it. If I hadn't been using LR for so long I might have bought it, but prefer LR. Both Lightroom and Aperture are better than iPhoto.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote