Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 5, 2012, 11:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I played with the beta for a while and it worked fine. I had issues when using the viveza plugin, I'm assuming that will be fixed by the time they release it. I'll probably upgrade at some point, content-aware is very useful, especially when combined with the new crop tool (which is similar to LR). There's several other features I could really get used to, also. I can see why some who have CS5 might not want to bother with the upgrade, unless the final version has more to it than what I saw in the beta version.
I've got CS5 and not planning on upgrading anytime soon as CS5 serves me well. But, it seems Adobe's playing some games again announcing this week that the last Camera Raw update (v6.7) for CS5 has been released and no further upgrades will be released.

That's all well and good until I buy a new camera and find out CS5 doesn't support it.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 11:39 PM   #12

They've always done that - I have CS4 and I know it wouldn't recognize my camera. You can always get around that by converting the raw files to dng, then using the dng file for editing. I did that for a while until I got a camera that has the option of dng for raw files. Now I don't worry about it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 7:12 AM   #13

Default CS6 observations

I bit the bullet and downloaded the CS6 upgrade. Having used Camera RAW for the bulk of my post processing, then performing the finishing touches in CS5, I really didn't think I'd be upgrading anytime soon.
However, playing around with the newly upgraded sliders in Camera RAW alone convinced me that the upgrade was definitely worth it (to me). Yesterday, I played around with the newly revised content aware and cloning tools. Wow, they are very much easier to work with and time savers.

The appearance is also new and, for me, a great improvement over the previous version.

I've just scratched the tip of the iceberg. May have to invest in a Scott Kelby CS6 book.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 10:09 PM   #14

I had CS4, so all of the content aware tools are awesome to me (I also upgraded to CS6). I also like the new crop tool - it works much like the one in Lightroom, but more versatile (you can crop beyond the edges of the picture and then use the content-aware fill feature or the content-aware move (set to extend) to fill in the blank space. It doesn't always work right, but it often does and even if I have to clone in a couple of spots, it usually isn't much. Very cool!

I had played with the beta version and liked a number of features. But I was still on the fence so I uninstalled it and went back to just using CS4. It didn't take me all that long to find myself missing some of the new features. And yes, I've just scratched the surface, I could use some tutorials from CS5, since I skipped it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote