Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:36 PM   #11

Actually that is the store retail price, I can get it online from indgo/amazon for about 40$cdn Which would be about 30$us I think.

K, so I am having an attack of Jack Bennyites :lol:
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 7:07 PM   #12

Eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a month, but buy the book. I've had it for several weeks and have given up hope of finding a place for it on the bookshelf. Its home is right next to me.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 8:12 PM   #13

I had his book for Elements and when I upgraded to CS, I had no hesitation getting his book for CS. I also have his "Down and Dirty Tricks " book but I am less enthusiastic about that one.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 8:56 PM   #14

Oh this is interesting there are two books with the same name.
Hope these whopping big urls work :twisted:

one is by Scott Kelby The Adobe Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers available now.

and one by Colin Smith Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers book and CD available March 2004.

also interesting to some might be Photoshop CS Glamour Photography by Kevin Ames available in February.

Sigh too many books to little time.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:21 PM   #15

I have Scott Kelby's and that's the one that I was talking about in the previous post.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 11:26 PM   #16

Gave in
Waved magic plastic at monitor.
Now the waiting for the slow-post begins.

Insert waiting music here.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 12:11 AM   #17

Default Re: Looking for other programs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
What do you want to do that your current editor cannot do? Layers? Histogram? LAB color?
Let's see. Some issues are:

It's a memory hog. Too sluggish. None of my other programs have this problem.
Some Touchup features like Airbrush open up a separate, blank layer to work on while other features like Clone Brush work directly on the picture.
Some other features like Emphasize seem redundant. Emphasize can be done in the same number of steps by other means.

These are a few of the issues.

Again, thanks for responding. This is a great forum and Steve has done a wonderful job!
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 6:14 AM   #18

You aren't likely to solve those problems by getting a new photo editor: any of them is likely to be the biggest/slowest program on your PC, none of them are entirely consistant in how they work, and all of them have many different ways to get to the same result. Microsoft does have the well deserved reputation for inconsistent bloatware, but I doubt that any program will solve all of your issues.

It sounds like you are simply annoyed by the way the program works. Though real, that is the most difficult problem to solve.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 7:54 AM   #19

Default Re: Looking for other programs...

Quote:
It's a memory hog.
Jerry, it's been my experience that most graphics programs are big oinkers. I doubt a program with sufficient features could be anything but this since graphics require a lot of resources. As soon as I could do it, I got a much faster processor and installed a gig of memory. It sped things up considerably.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 8:29 AM   #20

In addition to faster processors and more memory, you need to pay attention to your graphic card choice when using heavy graphic programs. I was recently having problems with mine and an upgraded driver seems to have helped greatly.