Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 28, 2004, 4:38 PM   #1

Default Looking for other programs...

I presently have Microsoft Digital Image Pro 7.0 and have been using it for about a year. I'm not thrilled by the program and am looking for another.

Besides Adobe products, what else is there that is complex enough but is coherent (unlike Digital Image Pro)?

Thanks.
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2004, 5:54 PM   #2

There's always PaintShop Pro or ACDsee. But, I'd look seriously at Photoshop Elements if you don't want to go with the full version of Photoshop CS. You can download a trial copy of both programs from Adobe.com and try them first.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 6:26 PM   #3

I'd second ohenry's mention of Elements. It's a program you can grow into, and if and when the time comes that you want the big guy, Photoshop, you'll already have a solid understanding of how it works.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 9:43 PM   #4

Default Thanks...

Thanks for the input. I'll be checking on both of your suggestions.
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:21 AM   #5

I second Elements and would also suggest PhotoImpact. PhotoImpact is a more complete editor than Elements and easy to use for an advanced editor. Paint Shop Pro is about the competence level of PhotoImpact but a little harder to learn. Adobe leaves some things out of Elements so they donít cut into the sales of the full Photoshop where PhotoImpact and Paint Shop Pro are as complete as possible. Elements is still very competent though.

ACDsee is an organization/viewer and not a competent image editor. There is freeware that does a better job of image editing. You need levels and masks as a bare minimum to get anything done.

I havenít used the M$ editor so Iím not familiar with the difficulty level. No competent image editor is completely intuitive. You have to spend a lot of time in the help files or in tutorials. One place that Paint Shop Pro has the advantage over PhotoImpact is that there are more online tutorials for PSP.

I copied this from ZDNetís review of the M$ editor you are currently using:
Ē Picture It Digital Image Pro is the perfect outlet for digital photography fans who want to clean up their images without facing Photoshop Elements' steep learning curve.
The good: Offers solid mix of basic and advanced features; well-balanced interface.
The bad: Intrusive installation.
By Barbara Krasnoff, August 19, 2002
With its substantive toolset and cascading menus, Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 can be a little intimidating sometimes. Microsoft Picture It Digital Pro, on the other hand, offers dedicated amateur photographers the advanced features they'll find in Photoshop but in a much more friendly interface. Novices who just want an easy way to remove red-eye from their photos or create a simple photo album should grab the less expensive Picture It Photo ($34.95) or Photo Premium ($54.95). But if you're an enthusiast who wants to do some high-quality image retouching, Pro is the way to go.Ē

That would suggest to me that you have an easy to use and reasonably competent image editor already and just want it automatic Ė no such thing. They all require a little effort, which is worthwhile IMO.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 12:47 PM   #6

A copy of Photoshop Elements seem to come bundeled with almost every imaging (printer/scanner/camera) product you buy

I have and use PhotoShopCS for most everything and
I have just picked up Microsoft Digital Image Suite 9.0 for 180$cnd.

So far I really like the image librarian and image backup functions that come with it. Have not played around much with the main program.

I'm still trying to find a cheeeep copy of PhotoshopCS for Photographers book. The manuals & instructions that come with a lot of these programs leave a lot to be desired
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 1:03 PM   #7

Default Re: Looking for other programs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryF
... I'm not thrilled by the program and am looking for another. ...
What do you want to do that your current editor cannot do? Layers? Histogram? LAB color?

If your root problem is the difficulty of using the program, you are very likely to find the same problem with any photo editor that has a good range of functions. Some might be easier to figure out and use, but that depends in good part on your own background, e.g., a program that is easy for some well versed in Excel could be difficult for other folks.

I'd suggest sticking with what you have until you can articulate the issue(s) it fails to address. In the mean time, lurk in the forums that the folks who use PhotoShop hang out. Watch for the utilities they use - if they are usefull adjuncts to PS, they are likely to be usefull with any other editor. IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com/ - freeware) is one such program.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 1:40 PM   #8

Quote:
still trying to find a cheeeep copy of PhotoshopCS for Photographers book
If you mean the specific book "The Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers," it's worth every single penny. I bought it recently and have learned so much from it that I think it's worth twice its price.

On the other hand, if you mean it more generically, you could look on Amazon to see if there are any used books, though I don't know how many there'd be for CS.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 2:57 PM   #9

Yup, thats the one

I spend unknown amounts (someday Deep Thought will have to calculate the amount) on camera equipment, hundreds on software and want to find the book for as cheep as possible :P :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoultry
If you mean the specific book "The Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers," it's worth every single penny. I bought it recently and have learned so much from it that I think it's worth twice its price.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 3:55 PM   #10

Since the book is right beside me, I just checked the price for it in Canada. It's $60.99, for crying out loud! One and a half times the price here. Is this all a relative sort of thing? I mean, is your $60 equivalent to our $40?