Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 31, 2004, 4:59 PM   #1

Default go to next picture

I'm using PhotoShop CS.

I store my pictures based on the date. Then I make a subdirectory off the day I'm reviewing called "Editing". I then quickly go through the pictures, viewing them... maybe sharpening them a touch to see how well they take it.. and then if I like it I copy it into the "editing" directory for more work.

One thing that I'd love is the ability to open a picture and then say "next picture" and have it load the next one in the directory. This would save me some time (having to close the current one with control-W and then opening the next one with the mouse.) Is this possible? Know of a better way to achieve what I'm doing? I could do it not in photoshop I guess... but it has this nice new file browser so I thought I'd try to use it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2004, 3:57 AM   #2

Hi Eric

Not sure what you mean. I use Acdsee for viewing and catalog.

I catalog like this:

Year folder (ex. 2004)
Month folder (ex. 2004 - 01)
Eventfolders (Photosafari)

This works for me.

Acdsee allows fullscreen viewing, while the next shot loads and the former stay in the "buffer".
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 8:06 AM   #3

Eric, I don't know off the top of my head if it's possible to do what you want, but I achieve something similar by allowing PS's browser to remain open. That way, it's always available while I'm doing preliminary sifting and sorting. Certainly, it's not as quick as what you'd like, but it's always there in the background. Click on it to bring it to the front, then double-click the next picture.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 7:56 AM   #4

bcoultry

That is basically what I do now. I found the hot keys to close the current window... that speeds things up a bit.

I was just kinda hoping there was a better/faster way. IRFanview can switch to the next picture easily (space bar?) so I might switch over to that for my first cut.

Eric
Old Feb 4, 2004, 8:35 AM   #5

I just tried to create an action to automate the process of closing the current picture, then going to the next picture and opening it. It seems that PS can close and open pictures automatically, but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to go to the next photo--it kept opening and closing the current photo. The problem is that PS can't seem to record the press of an arrow key, which is what's needed to go to the next photo. Maybe someone here has an idea of how to get around this barrier.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 1:53 PM   #6

bcoultry

Thanks for trying that. Its been clear from other posts that you know why more PhotoShop than I do, so I was kinda hoping you'd look at my question.

eric
Old Feb 4, 2004, 3:31 PM   #7

It's possible I know more, but obviously it's still insufficient. I'm going out to the Adobe forums to see what can be seen. If I find anything, I'll let you know.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 4:03 PM   #8
-jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
IRFanview can switch to the next picture easily (space bar?) so I might switch over to that for my first cut.
I used Irfanview for my primary viewer/sorter program for quite a while. Irfanview is a great program...

I switched to BreezeBrowser a few months ago. It's not free, but I like using it to sort through my images. The latest version has a view mode called film strip view that I like to use to peruse recent pictures.

http://www.breezesys.com/BreezeBrowser/index.htm

I also use their Downloader Pro software to download and rename images from a Compactflash card. Downloaded Pro integrates with breezebrowser's menues to make the process pretty painless.

Breezebrowser has other features you might like... convert CRW files... display active 10D focus point(s)... Contact sheets...

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 12:49 AM   #9

bcoultry

Why is your picture so over exposed? Is that an art thing? Now you really hate me, don't you.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 4:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normcar
bcoultry, Why is your picture so over exposed?
Norm, Haven't you seen all the dicussion about fading inkjet prints? I used to poison myself in a darkroom over a sodium sulphide sepia toner bath to get that tone. All we have to do now is stick the picture on a wall for a couple of months.

I'm quite sure the original lovely face hasn't faded. Even I am wearing better than inkjet pictures of me.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote