Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 2, 2004, 12:59 PM   #1

Default How to add a new sky to your landscape

I've posted a tutorial about this on my website - see below this text I you please.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2004, 12:43 AM   #2

Use layers
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 1:59 AM   #3

Hi Normcar

With such a short post, it's a bit hard to know what you mean!

As I write in most articles it's at good thing to use a copy of the original shot. The reason why I often not uses layers in my tutorials is for the purpose of explanation. If people already know how to use layers, they prob. will use them doing edits like this one. If they don't know how to use layers, they will have an easier job of understanding the technique - that's my point. My site if meant for most levels.

If this was not what you meant, please state you mind.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 7:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus DK
... I often not uses layers in my tutorials ...
Now you have me confused: if you are not using layers, why is the phrase "... and choose FLATTEN IMAGE." included in the instructions?

I agree with Normcar's rather terse comment: layers is probably the most important single technique for getting the most out of a photo editor. Further, layers should be used a great deal while learning how to use a photo editor since many/most changes are reversable when done as layers. That makes learning various techniques for (.e.g.) contrast changes much easier.

Klaus, your efforts to produce some basic tutorials for beginners are well done. Though you make a good shot at it, I am not sure it is possible to do without using a specific editor. I know I found as a newbie looking at tutorials, the ones that used the same editor I had (PSP) were the most usefull. That way I wasn't trying to translate the screen shots from PS at the same time I was trying to figure out what (e.g.) the Unsharpen Mask was doing.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 8:22 AM   #5

Bill. No need to be confused! I wrote "OFTEN". This means, that I now and then uses layers in my tutorials. I agree on your thoughts on layers. Surely everyone do.

Quote:
I agree with Normcar's rather terse comment: layers is probably the most important single technique for getting the most out of a photo editor. Further, layers should be used a great deal while learning how to use a photo editor since many/most changes are reversable when done as layers. That makes learning various techniques for (.e.g.) contrast changes much easier.
I agree too (never said anything else, did I? Then please correct me), but sometimes, there's issues in which I find layers less important in the process of learning. But of course you and Normcar is entitled to your opinions - I can't and will not argue with that. I respect that.

Quote:
I am not sure it is possible to do without using a specific editor.
Bill, all my tutorials is mainly for Photoshop - but I do mention somewhere, that some of the tutorials, can be done in almost any other editor. I still believe that. Maybe this should be written somewhere with bigger letters, I don't know...!

To be honest I was not sure what Normcar meant (somehow I find a comment like that a bit root, but with my limited knowledge to the written english language I might be wrong and really don't know, what to think). I can only say I'm sorry, if I gave him problems with my tutorials. My website is meant as a free help to anyone who want it! Not to give anyone problems, so that they have to react in that way! Good for him, there's lots of them on the net.

Thanks for your comment.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 12:55 PM   #6

Klaus, please allow me to be more specific. Your site is excellent, tasteful, helpful, and nicely designed. I find that layers is the easiest way to add a new sky or a new anything.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote