Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:42 PM   #1

Default What is the first editing you do to your photos?

I am new to photography, and have Aperture 3. I just wanted to ask everyone on here, what is the first things you do with a photo to start getting it to look a bit better? I know that this can really vary by photograph...but I just wanted to peek into other peoples work processes so that I can learn.

I.e. first adjust white balance, then I do touch ups, etc etc....

Right now, I just auto enhance and play with some sliders and brushes
Scottyent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:52 PM   #2

I remove purple fringing using Adobe Camera Raw. Not sure if that would be considered "editing"...
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:56 PM   #3

well as the person who's pictures i was most recently admiring, thanks for the feedback
Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:05 PM   #4

G'day Scotty

At first glance into your post -
my first editing operation is to chuck out the 2/3 of images that I don't get excited about!! I find that with any day of shooting that I come home with lots of 'stuff' and plenty of very similar images

First thing I do is load images 6 at a time into the editor and scroll up & down thru them looking for variations and slowly removing those with a 'blemish' when I end up with 2 remaining I keep them and delete the others

Having pruned-down my images to 1/3 of the starting number, I then start to look in more detail at the image to see -if- the 'best' needs any pp ... mostly the answer is no editing req'd so it goes into the storage folder as-is

pp when it occurs = levels, curves, + sharpening @ 10% occasionally

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:18 AM   #5

Hey Phil!

Thanks for the feedback. I love seeing peoples filtering process like that! I do the same with tossing the bad photos....I need to learn to be more selective haha I keep too many.

Do you do adjustments to colors, saturation, contrast and things like that?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 5:42 AM   #6

i use aperture and after i have done the culling its down to importing the the RAW images i want then, its look at the picture does it need cropping pointless working on bits of an image thats going to be cropped. then its white balance and exposure and down to enhance i can use a curve or a levels it down to personnel preference. then highlights and shadows.
i like aperture's interface also the way i can brush in adjustments. good luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:34 AM   #7

I use Capture NX2, PaintShopPro, and some plug-ins (Topaz Denoise, Topaz Detail, and FocusMagic). My workflow is largely determined by these apps and how they play together. I start with Capture NX2 on my raw data, which automatically applies CA removal and, if I'm using a Nikkor lens, distortion correction. I seldom need to do any WB correction, but if I did, that would be next. I then do my tone-mapping, straightening, and cropping in NX2. Then I output 16-bit TIFF and import it into PSP. I apply Topaz Denoise and Topaz Detail as needed. Those are the only 16-bit operations supported by my software that I routinely do, so I then collapse the image down to 8 bits and continue as needed with perspective correction, extraneous object removal, skin processing for portraits, median filtering for really recalcitrant noise problems, and then final sharpening with Focus Magic (which is 8-bits only) before outputting the finished JPEG.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:49 PM   #8

Everyone has different things they do, so there's really no right or wrong answer. I use Lightroom for most of my global things - import, then adjust white balance if it's off, then I'll adjust any tilt problems I have (very common) if it's minor. If it's major and I don't want to lose something I'll leave that for photoshop, where I can add something in on the corners/edges that are left blank by the rotation. If the tilt doesn't hit me over the head then I'll correct the levels/exposure/curves stuff first, then the tilt. The rest depends on the picture and what else I might want to do with it. I have Nik's software for Lightroom and Topaz Lab's suite for both LR and photoshop. I'm finding that I'm using LR less for certain adjustments since I got CS6 - I used to do almost everything in LR (plus plug-ins) before resizing if needed and final sharpening in photoshop (I usually use Topaz Labs Detail for that - I did my own preset since I didn't like theirs). Sharpening depends on what type of resize I do so its the final thing before flattening and saving as jpg - the final product.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:05 PM   #9

I always rotate first, crop second, fix exposure and or white balance next and then any other small things after that. As I go through the images to do this I delete any of them I don't want to save

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
I always rotate first, crop second, fix exposure and or white balance next and then any other small things after that. As I go through the images to do this I delete any of them I don't want to save

dave

Usually I find it's easier to isolate the ones I LIKE instead of the ones I don't like.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote