Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 6, 2004, 12:41 AM   #1

Default PSP or...?

I've been a Paint Shop Pro user for 10 years and I'd like to ask you Adobe people to show me something that you can do that I can't that has any real objective substance. For example, you provide me with a photo and tell me to do something with it and you adobe guys and gals get the same photo and let's see who wins on the same sort of "visual" objective, since visual is always the goal of photographers

Well?

Now "that" is a bit of a boast, and I'm waiting
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2004, 2:27 AM   #2

Hi Normcar.

What would be the gain of this ?
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 4:06 AM   #3

Default Re: PSP or...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normcar
I've been a Paint Shop Pro user for 10 years and I'd like to ask you Adobe people to show me something that you can do that I can't that has any real objective substance.
I'm a devotee of Pain Shop Pro 7.04 for all routine editing & twiddling on my antique 400MHz Pentium II. However, I still use Photoslop 5LE (Limited Edition), which I acquired free with a scanner, occasionally, when dealing with difficult colour casts, because it will display a whole screenful at once of slightly differently-coloured thumbnails from which you can choose.

I'm sure you could learn Photoshop very quickly if you wanted to. I watched an expert using Photoshop Elements this week and was impressed. However, I think she'd have been just as impressed if she'd watched you or me in action with PSP.

From my reading of messages here, especially from beginners, the printing/resizing facilities in Photoslop are obscure compared with PSP, and rooted in mediaeval times when dots per inch were kings, and magazine publishers were their wicked henchmen.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 4:44 AM   #4

I'm sure there are some things that Photoshop can do that PSP can't, but then, I'm not sure I want to do those things, either. That said, I'm planning on learning PS in near future, and if that doesn't pan out, back to a new version of PSP!
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 1:11 PM   #5

Klaus...

It would be fun, challenging, interesting, a learning experience (maybe I'd learn to switch to PhotoShop because it can do things I'd never dreamed of); sometimes a bit of a contest brings out the best in people too because it's motivational.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 1:34 PM   #6

Like Klaus, I don't quite get the point of such an exercise. More often than not, we like and stick with the software we know.This sounds too much like a mine's-better-than-yours argument.

If anyone is truly interested in how the other program works, there are always trial downloads.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 2:55 PM   #7

Alan, I get a kick out of that little freudian slip of yours...
Quote:
Pain Shop Pro 7.04
I agree with you fully that each program has it's excellence in varying areas and in varying degrees. I think that the second rate reputation that PSP has had to endure in the past is changing rapidly, even in the domain of the professional, which is a tough nut to crack.

bcoultry, my focus is not really the mine-is-better-than-yours attitude; rather, it's more like the mine-is-as-good-as-yours even if yours has the right branding emblazoned on the cover. However, your point is well taken, thanks.

Peace
Old Feb 6, 2004, 5:53 PM   #8

I think Alan's contribution was carefully crafted. "Pain Shop Pro" and "Photoslop" in one reply is much too good to be a coincidence.

A GIMP user perhaps?

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 7:33 PM   #9

Fenlander...

Do you give lessons in reading? If so, I'll be your first student because you seem to read a whole lot better than me.

Alan, you are not only "wise" but witty to boot. That's a powerful combination! Happy pain shop pro-ing.