Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 7, 2004, 9:33 AM   #1

Default Need Help - Paint Shop Pro 8

Can somebody please tell me why when I have edited (red eye correction - PSP8 does the best job on eyes) I am not able to open the picture in another editor even though I have saved it as a JEPG.

Right now I cannot open ANY picture in ANY other editor except PSP8.

I do use different programs for different reasons and am now totally frustrated. Any help greatly appreciated. THANKS. :lol:
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2004, 4:27 PM   #2

Is the other program running when you try to open the photo or are you trying to open the photo from a browser?
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 4:49 PM   #3

Quote:
or are you trying to open the photo from a browser?
The reason Ohenry asked this question is because, if PSP is set as the software of choice to open JPEGs, then double-clicking on the file will automatically bring up PSP and only PSP. Have you tried opening other software first, then choosing to open one of those files from within the software?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 10:15 PM   #4

OR,

if you are useing a browser (ie: my computer), you can right click and select open with then pick the program, if you want to not have to do thatevery time, use can set that as your defult program

hope this helps!!
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 10:42 PM   #5

Default Re: Need Help - Paint Shop Pro 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty
I am not able to open the picture in another editor even though I have saved it as a JEPG. Right now I cannot open ANY picture in ANY other editor except PSP8.
If you can't open genuine jpg files, using "File | Open..." from within another viewer that's already running....

1. Are you *sure* you saved as jpg and not as PSP's own native format, but accidentally named with a jpg suffix?

2. Are you sure you didn't save in a newer jpeg format (JPEG2000?)from PSP8 that isn't supported by your other viewers?

3. Have you got enough memory to run PSP8 as well as another program as well? You may have many copies of full uncompressed bitmap images in memory at the same time.

If you're just having trouble getting other editors to start when you double click a jpg (or other) image file....

PSP, just like many other programs, steals all the possible image file associations when you install it. You can set the file associations back to what you want from within PSP. It's probably under "File | Preferences | File Associations".

Sorry if you know all this already. Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 10:53 AM   #6

Thanks All

Have saved the couple of pictures I edited with PSP as what they are calling JPEG Compliant - have set them to JPEG File and not PaintShop Pro, have set to open with Microsoft Digital Image Pro 7 and what I am finding is that Digital Image Pro will not open any picture including the originals which have never been edited or played with.

Since changing the settings I can now open them in Windows and Ulead but really like certain features of Digital Image Pro but guess I will not be able to use it. Have searched all their help files to no avail and, of course, being Microsoft I can forget about any other help from them.

Oh well, guess I can now free up some more space on my computer.

Appreciate your input and help. :lol:
Old Feb 8, 2004, 11:13 AM   #7

Do they have .jpg as their extension or is it .jpeg? A lot of programs will NOT open anything with the .jpeg extension. It can be as simple a fix as changing the extension in Windows Explorer.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 12:21 PM   #8

Both programs say that they will open either JPG or JPEG - the only thing I can see is that PSP8 says JPEG-Compliant.

It must have something to do Digital Imaging because that seems to be the only program that will not open any image I have, photo or scanned document.

Seems, in my experience, DI is the only program that truly and easily gets right of wrinkles and lines, and spots, such as a freckle, pimple, scab (on the little ones) and really do not want to lose the use of it.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 1:44 PM   #9

Last resort: uninstall, then reinstall.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 4:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Last resort: uninstall, then reinstall.
That's what I'd suggest.
I've fiddled with a number of programs and never had any problems when opening a jpg into another program.

Quote:
Seems, in my experience, DI is the only program that truly and easily gets right of wrinkles and lines, and spots, such as a freckle, pimple, scab (on the little ones) and really do not want to lose the use of it.
Prior to digital cameras and my own editor, Widows came with Microsoft "Picture It" and just for fun, I removed wrinkles/lines from my parents scanned image. It seemed to work well, as I recall.

I've never attempted to do the same with PSP but would think it could be done, with time & patience. Have you searched the internet for tutorials on the subject or visited a psp forum?
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote