Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:56 PM   #1

Default Can I use lr4 32bit on windows pc on macbook pro

Hi all
I have Lightroom 4.2 running on a windows pc with lrcat file and photos on dedicated external hard drive. I am thinking of taking ex hd back with me to Australia where I am thinking of connecting to my macbookpro which is 64bit.
The ex hd had been formatted to exfat so it can be read on pc or mac.
Would the 32bit or 64bit be a problem as my windows machine will be staying here in Croatia.
The ex hd is a my passport. I know you can use ex hdrives between pc and mac as long as it is formatted for it.

I hope the question is clear and hopefully someone will know.

John 6:53-55
flasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:22 PM   #2

An interesting question, if I understand correctly.

What I think you are asking is if your LR catalog (the lrcat file) is transportable between the windows and LR versions of the program. I would suspect yes, though I've never tried it. My LR catalog on a MacBook Pro is also lrcat, so I would think (but don't know) that it would work.

As you mentioned, your external hard drive can be read by both systems. I assume that all of your photos are stored on it also in whatever format they were taken in (raw, dng, jpg or whatever). Those files will be no problem so at the worst, you'd have to recreate the LR catalog on the MacBook Pro (the lrcat file). I'd probably make sure that any keywording or changes to the metadata I've done is saved to the files (or sidecar files, depending on the format of the original file) so that you don't have to completely start from scratch, just re-import the files into the new collection.

But I've never actually done this (had a windows catalog that I opened on a Mac). Maybe someone else here can offer more insight.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:10 PM   #3

I don't know how the mac works, but with Win, the 64 bit machines will also run 32 bit applications and files without problems. I would suspect you won't have any trouble with that aspect. Any difficulties would be more likely to come from file format differences between the machines. My own inclination would be to give it a try, and if it doesn't work, contact Adobe customer service. IIRC, there is also a Windows emulator that can be run on a mac, giving another possible solution.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 9:12 AM   #4

Hi mtngal and VTphotog
Thankyou for your replys. I guess the only way I am going to find out is when I get
back home to Aus isjust plug the external hard drive and see what happens. I wont be
on pc forever but until this machine is working will utalize it.
Cant wait to get back to my macs in Australia as have realy gotten to like the way they operate. I will have to upgrade to lr4.2 on both machines but that is ok.
The way I do things just allows me to keep a pc and or macbook pro in the future in one place so not always transporting.

Anyway thanyou muchly for help.

John 6:53-55
flasha is offline   Reply With Quote