Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 13, 2012, 5:37 PM   #1

Default RAW for a newb..RawTherapee?....Darkroom??..Both?...Neither? ?

I know absolutely nothing about taking and processing RAW images. I would like to start experimenting, and stumbled across RawTherapee in the Ubuntu software Center. I have it installed, but have not yet used it. While reading this page, http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-linux-software , I came across Darkroom. I have read some about both apps, but I am wondering which would be best for a beginner. From the couple posts I could find here, it seems RawTherapee has a learning curve, but I can't seem to find much info on Darkroom. Do both of these apps accomplish the same thing, in basically the same way? Also, if anyone knows of a good tutorial on the basics of procesing RAW images, please post a link, it would be sincerely appreciated.
OscarTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:58 PM   #2

I'm not at all familiar with Darkroom - strictly a Windows user - but use Raw Therapee, and while it is not simple, it really isn't that difficult. There are a lot of options, but once you find what works well with your camera, it is fairly easy to use. The website has a pretty comprehensive user's manual, which, as I recall, takes you through the process step by step.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:30 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheCat View Post
I know absolutely nothing about taking and processing RAW images. I would like to start experimenting, and stumbled across RawTherapee in the Ubuntu software Center. I have it installed, but have not yet used it. While reading this page, http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-linux-software , I came across Darkroom. I have read some about both apps, but I am wondering which would be best for a beginner. From the couple posts I could find here, it seems RawTherapee has a learning curve, but I can't seem to find much info on Darkroom....
I use Linux the vast majority of the time. I've got RawTherapee, DarkTable, RawStudio and other software installed for viewing/editing of raw files. But, I never use them. I use Corel AfterShot Pro instead. It's commercial software, but well worth what they want for it compared to the free open source offerings.

Checking the NTFS partition I have 64 Bit Win 7 installed on, I haven't booted into Win 7 in over two months now.

I probably need to do that this weekend, so that I update it with the last two months "patch tuesday" updates, newer AV definitions. etc. (as I don't like to get more than a couple of months behind before updating everything). Basically, I only use it when we have problems reported using the forums with IE; or when I need to test camera manufacturers' software. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother to keep Windows installed at all.

My advise to Linux users (and the same thing applies to Windows and Mac OS X users):

Use Corel AfterShot Pro. It appears to be on sale for only $59.99 right this minute. That's an amazing price for what you get.

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/i...anguageCode=en

Here's a "Webinar" showing some of it's features. You'll see some of the more advanced tools like selective editing showing how to use layers and regions about 30 minutes into it (so you can do things like adjust the exposure and use fill light on the bottom of an image, without changing the sky). The presenter is using files from a Sony A900, and as you can see, it's very "snappy" compared to most products.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i633ZBya9Fc

Corel purchased Bibble Labs a while back, and "rebranded" Bibble Pro as Corel AfterShot Pro after making a few improvements to it.

Bibble Pro was selling for $199.99, and you can buy Corel AfterShot Pro for only $59.99 right now from what I can see of current sale prices.

That's a real "steal" for software that does what it does, as fast as it does. Another benefit is that the same license key can be used in multiple operating systems.

IOW, I've got it installed in both 64 Bit Windows 7 and in Linux distros on the same PC using the same license key. Now, I don't use Windows very often. But, it's still nice to have software that works in both operating systems (and you can point the installs from both Operating Systems so that they use the same catalogs, etc.).

I'd suggest downloading the trial version (and they have distro specific downloads with .deb files for debian based distros like Ubuntu, etc.; or .rpm based downloads for some of the other popular distros); and see how it works for you. Again, I'd also suggest looking at the webinar that I linked to so that you get a a better idea of what it can do (as it's an extremely full featured product, and it can take a bit of time to understand all of the features it has available to help improve your workflow).

Bottom line is that It's *extremely* fast compared to most similar applications (Adobe Lightroom, etc.) with more features; and it's price point is very attractive; and it works under multiple Operating Systems, including Linux.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote