Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:44 PM   #1

Default Bulk MetaData Transfer to Spreadsheet

I have many (>1000) pictures with GPS data from a recent trip to Peru. I'd like to plot (on a graph from a spreadsheet most likely) the elevation of these shots verses time. I know how to do this manually from a spreadsheet like MS Excel, but I was hoping to use some piece of software to dump at least the time/date and elevation metadata automatically in bulk for whole set given the number of pictures I'm working with. It could simply put this stuff in two columns in a spreadsheet. That's all I'm looking to do.

The pictures were all taken with two different Nikon cameras (D600 using a GP-1, and a Nikon S1, which has an internal GPS). I've already asked Nikon if their software can do this and they told me "no." See below:

"Thank you for contacting Nikon Customer Support, I'll be happy to assist you.

I conferred with our software expert, and he informs me that there is no way to export the metadata or GPS information from either View NX 2 or Capture NX 2. I know this is not the information you were hoping for, and i apologize for that."

Does anyone know how I could do this with some other piece of software? I have Photoshop Elements 10, and if needed, can get access to the full Photoshop program of some recent vintage.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Ahpny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:41 AM   #2

I have a Mac, so I've used ExifTool to get data that isn't necessarily available with most programs that show Exif data. There's also a way to have the program create a basic list of whatever parameters you want for all photographs in a folder, with tabs between values. You should be able to import that data into Excel, the only spreadsheet program I'm familiar with. The program would output a .txt document, which Excel can read.

ExifTool is available for free, it's cross-platform so can work on a PC or whatever, but everything is done by commands you type in, so I found I had to read through everything several times to get it right. It reminds me of the early PC days and working partly in DOS. But I think it would do what you want quickly.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:18 AM   #3

Thx, in the interim, I'd already found ExifTool and have successfully used it on a small test file of pictures. I'm still trying to figure out how to have that program extract the date and time information along with the GPS data. I presume it can do that too, but haven't determined how yet. All I seem to get so far is the GPS data next to the file name of the picture.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:14 PM   #4

I thought I had something that said what the command was to do that, but didn't see it on the notes I had left for some things I was using it for. You might try Date and Time, though I'm not sure that would be the right command.

I used "exiftool -T -Temperature -ShutterCount -FileName (folder name) > (newdocname).txt" to get a list of what the camera recorded for temperature, the shutter count and the file name on one line, separated by tabs (the -T), for pictures in a particular folder. I wonder if you used -Date and -Time, to see if that would work. Not sure that the code name for them is.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:17 AM   #5

thx again, this program seems to offer the correct solution for me, but as you mentioned, it will take me a bit of time to figure out the correct commands and formatting (and perhaps draw on my own PC-Dos experience). I've programmed in assembly, so I'm hopeful I can tackle this too. Just need a block of time to learn it. Since it's free, I guess there's no reason for user friendliness complaints of any kind.