Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 12, 2004, 2:55 PM   #1

Default best way to enlarge

I'm looking for good ways to enlarge pictures. Is genunine fractals worth it? Is there a better way? (I've heard of tricks where you enlarge a bit, sharpen slightly, enlarge, sharpen... wash,rince,repeat.

Any tricks I should know about?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2004, 3:11 PM   #2

I read in "The Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers" (it's too wonderful to put on the shelf and always sits next to me) that the magic increment is 10%. I tried it and, sure enough, it worked better than any other percentage. You can turn it into an action, assign the action to a function key, then tap-tap-tap your way into enormousness.... Well, a little restraint might be in order.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 3:18 PM   #3

I agree with Barbara. The 110% increment works. I have an action made that does it by the press of F12.

On the other hand, I've heard good things about Genuine Fractals. I'm just not sure I'd enlarge enough pictures to justify the cost.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 3:38 PM   #4

LizardTech used to have a GF demo version you could try out. Don't know if they still do. I tried an rather older version and could not see any difference between it and photoshop's resampling.

RE: that photoshop book, I've left mine sitting on my PC's coffee cup holder for a couple of days now and PS still hasen't learned any new tricks yet
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 4:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP
RE: that photoshop book, I've left mine sitting on my PC's coffee cup holder for a couple of days now and PS still hasen't learned any new tricks yet
I knew that osmosis stuff was a bunch of bolarky! :lol:
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:18 PM   #6

Hey, I have that book! But I'm only on page 45 (and I read a portion of the sharpening chapter.) Gotta read some more!

I guess that will teach me... I never even thought to look in that book.

bcoultry
So is that where you've learned all your PS tricks?

Eric
Old Feb 13, 2004, 6:29 AM   #7

Quote:
So is that where you've learned all your PS tricks?
Nope. I've been using Photoshop for six years, the first year spent floundering around in it, ruining photos and using colorful language. The Adobe PS forum helped, reading every book my library had to offer and then buying a few of my own helped, and then experimenting helped beyond all else.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 9:11 AM   #8

You mean you had to work at it? Damn!

Thanks for the info,

Eric
Old Feb 13, 2004, 9:45 AM   #9

The technique is called stair interpolation of SI. It is counterintuitive but works. http://www.fredmiranda.com/SI/index.html Fred has an advanced action he charges a small amount for, but you can easily set an action in Photoshop for the basic SI. I make an action of 4 X 5% increases. Then I make other actions with 2 and 4 of the first action. I can get pretty close to where I want to go combining them. I experimented with percentage increase per step and found that 5% was about the largest that gave good results and that going to smaller increments just took a lot longer on the computer with marginal at best improvement over 5%.

This is a comparison I did over a year ago during another discussion on dpreview. It is less than 5% of a 5Mp frame so the noise looks extreme and you can see that the SI not only makes the picture look sharper but also sharpens the noise. If you blow it up until it pixillates you see that the SI version isnít sharper at all. Somehow the technique adds subtle artifacts that give the appearance of being sharper. Both the single step and SI use Photoshop bicubic:
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Fred has an advanced action he charges a small amount for
Just to make this a little clearer, it's not actually an action but an automation, so it's available from PS's "Automate" choice on, if memory isn't failing me, the File menu. Also, when I downloaded it months ago, the basic version was free. I stopped using it after realizing it was faster to create my own action and then use an assigned function key to repeat it quickly.