Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:47 PM   #1

Default Apple Aperture with NEX distortion

Are there any Apple Aperture users out there who were as suprised as me the first time you went to process the RAW files from the NEX 16-50 PZ lens?

I really like the library, workflow and results of aperture but the lack of lens distortion correction does not sit to well with me when it comes to processing NEX files. Until aperture addresses this shortcoming JPEG files are the only way to get images that don't look totally distorted.

The JPEG files from the NEX are OK as long as you are not shooting in high contrast areas. Your ability to correct highlights and shadows suffer badly when compared to shooting in RAW.

JPEG+RAW for now.
Not interested in switching to Lightroom.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:17 PM   #2

I know this post is a little old, but it caught my eye as a newbie here and to the NEX (see my travails trying to decide what to do about a camera in the "what camera to buy" forum) as well as to Aperture.

Like you, I prefer the Aperture workflow to Lightroom. Have you tried shooting RAW & JPEG and using PT Lens as a plugin for the files that you want to play with in RAW?
I have not yet, but am considering it.

Last edited by Traveler6; Aug 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM.
Traveler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:47 PM   #3

Travler6;

No I haven't. I have shot RAW+JPEG only to have to make the decision regarding the trade-off. It's never easy. I have also just shot JPEG only and made sure that I underexpose everything by about -07 ev, that works OK. What I'm really hoping for is for Aperture to include lens correction in their future updates or come out with version 4. Then all past images will be corrected. Since the competition has gone this route I can't imagine Aperture NOT offering this in future updates.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:06 PM   #4

I agree. I can't imagine the next update of Aperture not having lens correction and, like everyone else, I am hoping Apple releases an update soon. I have been using RAW + JPEG also and usually wind up just using the JPEG for most shots, but I think PT Lens is inexpensive (maybe $25, if I remember correctly), so I may give it a trial and if it works well buy it as a stop gap measure.
Traveler6 is offline   Reply With Quote