Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 9, 2013, 3:44 PM   #1

Default Photoshop Annual License Fee

I may have all my information wrong (that would not be the first time).

I have heard that soon, Photoshop will require me to buy an annual license to use the software. I have not heard if LightRoom is going to the same structure.

So, my first set of questions: Is this accurate? Will I have to purchase annual licenses for that software? If so, are there any ball park estimates on the fees?

Second, I do most of my processing of my camera raw files by doing as much as I can in Lightroom, then finishing them in Photoshop.

I have used Canon's Digital Photo Pro for the first step, but then I'm back into Photoshop for the final processing.

What software would you recommend I look at if I am not willing to pay the annual fees as cited above?

Faithfully yours,
The FaithfulPastor
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2013, 4:59 PM   #2
Administrator

Yes. It's true (at least for their more advanced products like Photoshop Creative Suite offerings). Going forward, they're only going to offer them via "Creative Cloud" subscriptions (versus you being able to buy a license that allows unlimited use going forward without any further cost).

See our news article about it here:

Adobe Kills Boxed Creative Suite, Moves to Cloud Only Subscriptions

But, compared to buying the product "out right", the subscription prices are fairly reasonable. There are pros and cons to the new pricing (and some people like it, some people don't).

Lightroom is not impacted (as Adobe has pledged that Lightroom will continue to be available with a non subscription model, as least for now).

Alternatives....

Personally, I use Corel AfterShot Pro for image management and raw conversion, as well as basic editing tasks. I use Linux >99% of the time, and they offer Windows, OS X and Linux versions of AfterShot Pro (making it more attractive for my use). Basically, I can buy one license and use it with multiple operating system installs (same license key works under both Windows and Linux on the same PC, and I just use the same shared file locations for things like catalogs and images).

You can download a trial version to see if you like it or not:

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/i...anguageCode=en

It's very inexpensive (and offers many of the same types of features you get with lightroom, only with the ability to work with folders of images without importing them to a catalog first if desired, although using catalogs gives you more features).

I'd also suggest looking at this webinar to get a better idea of it's capabilities (to reduce the learning curve getting used to it and discovering it's abilities, as it's a very full featured product).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i633ZBya9Fc

For Windows or OS X use (no Linux versions offered for their PaintShot Pro line), I'd probably check out some of the other Corel Products like the PaintShot Pro lineup.

For example, PaintShot Pro X5 Ultimate (the most full featured version) is on sale for only $49.99 right this minute. You can download a trial version to see if it meets your needs or not.

But, I'd suggest AfterShot Pro for most raw conversion/image management needs, as it's a very nice product, as Corel purchased Bibble Labs and refined and enhanced the Bibble Pro product, releasing the newer Corel AfterShot Pro to take it's place, while still maintaining a cross platform solution).

See more Corel Imaging related solutions here (PaintShot Pro X5 Ultimate, AfterShot Pro, etc.):

http://www.corel.com/corel/category....Cat=cat3610089
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 2:55 PM   #3

Lightroom is staying independent. I haven't upgraded to LR5 because it would require me to upgrade to Lion (I am a Mac person) and there's another program I use all the time that will only do what I want in Snow Leopard. The fact that LR5 is ONLY available as a download would bother me a great deal if I didn't have access at work to a much faster/more reliable internet connection (mine at home is faster than dial-up but not by all that much).

There are some advantages to going with the Cloud - you always have the latest and greatest. I'm not entirely sure how it will work though, do you always need to be hooked up to the internet to have it work? My internet connection is painfully slow/not always reliable and if some of the program is maintained elsewhere, or if the program automatically downloads, I'll be unhappy. Just this past week my computer announced that there was a new system security update to install, but when I tried to install it, the file was corrupted. I ended up bringing my computer to work and using a high-speed internet connection, which worked without problems.

I'm also eligible for the academic discount. The monthly fees (that don't end as long as you have the software) after a year would cost the same as what I would pay for a perpetual license. If I were to upgrade every generation I would probably break even, but I don't. In addition, I travel and don't always have access to the internet - will the program stop working if it tries to check in and I'm not on the internet? I don't know the answer to that.

I can see that a pro could be happy - they would be able to write-off the expense and always have the latest software. At some point I might be able to justify the cost, but not at the moment (I've always skipped a generation or two).

I've been thinking of going with a combination of LR and PSE. Granted I'd miss some of what I can do in photoshop that I can't do in PSE, but it might be the most logical work-around for me. Paint Shop Pro is the other program I would research. I've heard that Corel hasn't kept up the raw converter in AfterShot Pro and that it doesn't work for one of my new cameras, a disappointment to quite a few who otherwise love the program and prefer it to PaintShop Pro. I am perfectly happy with my LR4/CS6 combination for the time being, so feel no great desire to upgrade.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
There are some advantages to going with the Cloud - you always have the latest and greatest. I'm not entirely sure how it will work though, do you always need to be hooked up to the internet to have it work? My internet connection is painfully slow/not always reliable and if some of the program is maintained elsewhere, or if the program automatically downloads, I'll be unhappy. Just this past week my computer announced that there was a new system security update to install, but when I tried to install it, the file was corrupted. I ended up bringing my computer to work and using a high-speed internet connection, which worked without problems.
No (slow connection won't impact performance), because the software is installed locally on your PC (as it has been in the past with boxed versions).

A connection is required periodically in order to validate your Creative Cloud Subscription. But, the software works locally.

See my post in this thread about it:

Adobe's CS7 subscription on the cloud

Quote:
[snip]
I've heard that Corel hasn't kept up the raw converter in AfterShot Pro and that it doesn't work for one of my new cameras, a disappointment to quite a few who otherwise love the program and prefer it to PaintShop Pro.
AfterShot Pro has been going through some transition issues since Corel acquired the software (formerly known as Bibble Pro). But, Corel has indicated that one of the original developers (Jeff Stephens, one of the Austin, TX based developers from Bibble Labs) is now working on camera profiles for them. So, hopefully, that will help speed up future updates supporting new camera models going forward.

See this thread:

http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=50739
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote