Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 22, 2004, 1:08 PM   #1

Default Adobe-help

I have just bought a Konica 500z which I have been told is a good 5mp camera.
I am trying to use Adobe 3.1 to print some pictures, but am getting stuck.
I thought that the usual small size print for a photograph would be 6"x4"? In the templates provided I cannot find the 6x4 one. I have printed out a 9x13 one, assuming that it must be the nearest but in cm's,but it prints out at 9x12 cm's. I am confused by it all.

Furthermore, my camera book talks about picture size in the section referring to the number of MP's. Does it in anyway relate to the actual size of the print? For example some of the pictures that I download to the computer print out smaller that others. I thought that they would all download at the same size and then it would be up to me to decide the size of the print?

Thanks

Bertie
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2004, 4:27 PM   #2

hi,

try fixfoto. with this program you can create your own profiles with different formats for your digital print service.

dp
DonPablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 12:12 AM   #3
-jb

I'm not sure what Adobe 3.1 is. I've used Photoshop for quite a while, but the earliest I remember is version 4 or so. What do you mean by Adobe 3.1?

If by MP you mean megapixels, it is actually not related to print size at all. You'lll need to set a dots-per-inch value to determine the size of the print.

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 12:17 PM   #4

The camera takes images in a 4:3 ratio like a computer screen. You have to trim some off the top and bottom to get 4 X 6 which is obviously in a 3:2 ratio. This little freeware will crop them for you to standard ratios so you can print them. Always save the originals and “Save As” to a different folder for anything you modify. http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/XJ&sdn=gr...2FJPEGCrops%2F
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 3:19 PM   #5

Default Photo software

Thanks for your help gentlemen.
Is there a particular piece of software that I ought to buy which is really simple to use and will do all that I am likely to need as a very amateur photographer, who only deals in holiday and birthday snaps?
Bertie
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 5:45 PM   #6

I think that Photo Shop Elements would suit your purposes---
rextilleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 7:39 PM   #7

You can always try irfanview. It's free (www.irfanview.com) and it works fairly well. It isn't the most feature packed software package there is, but it works well (and there are some things it does that I like better than how PhotoShop does it.)

Some people like Paint Shop Pro a lot. I've never tried it myself.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote