Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 27, 2004, 10:09 AM   #1

Default converting analog 8mm to digital???

Can anyone recommend "reasonably priced" ($100-$200) software to take my 2 dozen 8mm tapes and turn them into dvd's? Open for any advice.
bkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2004, 2:47 PM   #2

There are various levels of Pinnacle software, and you can certainly get it for under $200.

If it's just the 24 tapes and there will be no more because, say, you're going over to a digital camcorder, you might look into getting the tapes transferred for you by a business that does this. Unfortunately, I haven't the least notion how much they charge.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 3:05 AM   #3

Default Re: converting analog 8mm to digital???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkersh
Can anyone recommend "reasonably priced" ($100-$200) software to take my 2 dozen 8mm tapes and turn them into dvd's? Open for any advice.
I'm not sure if I've understood your problem correctly, but if you really mean *analogue* 8mm video, i.e., Video8 or Hi8, you'll have to use some hardware as well as software, to digitise your analogue signal.

This used to be done with a video capture card in the PC, into which you fed a composite video signal from your camcorder, VCR, or other analogue video source. You'd finish up with a rather poor quality 320x200 .avi file, which you could save these days as mpeg of some kind.

Another approach would be to project the Video8 and try refilmimg it with a digital camcorder, but there's all sorts of scope for horrible aliasing. I used this technique to transfer standard 8mm home movie film to Video8 with some success, but your problem is harder.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 11:37 AM   #4

As Alan says, it could be a bit more complicated by the hardware issue. My son has been transferring his hi-8's onto his computer by first running them into the TV with his older camcorder and recording them back out onto his digital camcorder. After that, he gets them onto his computer by via his digital camcorder. Capture card, firewire required.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 9:07 AM   #5

Default Re: converting analog 8mm to digital???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkersh
take my 2 dozen 8mm tapes and turn them into dvd's?
I've just read the following in a Maplin catalogue here in the UK (www.maplin.co.uk) (rather like Radio Shack or Tandy). Maybe this is what you need, though I haven't seen it except in the advert. It sounds like a USB-powered plug-in capture card & software and has four dangling phono sockets rather like a SCART lead........

[Quote from Catalogue] <<DVD EzMaker USB 2.0 49.99 ukpounds
Avermedia

Convert all your home videos to DVDs with this fantastic Ezmaker, now at only 49.99.

Capture & convert home video tapes to digital video
High speed USB 2.0 capture device
Create DVD/VCD from camcorders or VCRs
Direct to disc recording (real time)
Supports DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW & DVD+RW VR

Capture, record, burn and enjoy, its that simple. The DVD Ezmaker enables CD/DVD burners to create DVD quality video in real-time. It also allows you to perform basic editing functions, like adding titles, audio overlay, to your video clips and much more. Hurry and trash those space consuming videotapes. Now its time to turn all your home camcorder video into CDs or DVDs and play them on DVD players. Perfect for, analog camcorder owners, people who own a VCR, people who own a CD or DVD burner, people who want to convert old tapes to DVDs etc [End of quote from catalogue] >>
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote