Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 12, 2014, 4:28 PM   #1

Default Need a Simple, Basic Fast RAW editor for Mac

Does anyone know of a simple, no-frills editor (for Mac) that will open and develop RAW files without a lot of bells and whistles getting in the way?

I'm looking for software that'll handle quick-and-dirty edits of individual image files for posting to the web. I don't want a catalog/asset management app that also develops (like Lightroom), just a one-image-at-a-time RAW developer I can use to crop, adjust white balance, levels, colors, curves and sharpen, then export to web-sized jpg.

Don't need a "viewer" since I already have a great one (Xee) that lets me sort through my latest transfers, then copy the files I want to quick-edit. And it's very fast.

Lightroom would be almost perfect if it weren't for the asset management features that, for this particular use, just get in the way. GIMP is too cumbersome because u-fraw is waaaaaayyyyy too slow.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:22 PM   #2

Corel Aftershot Pro would work for you.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:02 PM   #3

Thanks, Gary. I may give it a try, though the Corel site says ASP is a combined developer AND asset management app. That's what I'm trying to avoid. I have asset management already well covered with Lightroom, which maintains all my image catalogs spread out across multiple external drives. I use LR extensively for mgmt and editing, but want something simple that I can use on just one or two files right out of the camera, quickly and without all the fuss of opening a catalog or "project", and before I import them into a catalog and start full-blown editing.

So I'll grab the ASP trial and see if the mgmt can be separated from the editor. Thanks for the link!
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootPilgrim View Post
Thanks, Gary. I may give it a try, though the Corel site says ASP is a combined developer AND asset management app. That's what I'm trying to avoid. I have asset management already well covered with Lightroom, which maintains all my image catalogs spread out across multiple external drives. I use LR extensively for mgmt and editing, but want something simple that I can use on just one or two files right out of the camera, quickly and without all the fuss of opening a catalog or "project", and before I import them into a catalog and start full-blown editing.

So I'll grab the ASP trial and see if the mgmt can be separated from the editor. Thanks for the link!
How about RAWtherapee? http://rawtherapee.com/downloads
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:52 PM   #5

Thanks, G! Gonna try that one, too.