Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:36 PM   #1

Default Aperture Users, What Now?

How many images do you have in the library?

What are your considerations as of today 7/3/2014?

I have 22,723 items in my master library

My consideration for today is to keep on using it and wait to see what happens further down the road.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2014, 4:30 PM   #2

G'day Mike

I'm guessing here ... but as Aperture is a Mac software item - is there any other Mac 'equivalent' out there?
I know that PS Elements has a reasonably good organiser accompanying an excellent photo editor - would that do?

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2014, 4:51 PM   #3
Administrator

Try Corel AfterShot Pro

http://www.aftershotpro.com/en/

It's available for Windows, OS X and Linux; and the same license key works under all 3 operating systems (for example, I have both linux and windows installed on my desktop and have AfterShot Pro installed in both, using the same license key, without the need to buy more than one copy).

It's faster than anything around for raw conversion and image management purposes (nothing else even comes close, and processing speed almost doubles each time you double your CPU core count, and also uses GPU Acceleration with modern graphics chipsets), with very nice search, tagging and metadata type features if you import photos into a catalog (but, unlike Adobe Lightroom, it can also work directly with images without the need to import them first).

They've just made some very major changes to the product recently with the new 2.0 release, and have a new product management/development team in place now. It's what I use for image management/raw conversion/basic editing tasks under both Windows and Linux (and again, they also have an OS X version).

It also supports layers and edit regions (something you don't get with Adobe Lightroom). Basically, it's similar to Adobe Lightroom in that it can save tons of time with it's rating features (one star, two stars, etc.) and metadata tagging and search features, allowing an extremely efficient workflow to cut down on time needed for culling, etc. But, it also has more editing features than you get in Adobe Lightroom.

You can download a trial that works for 30 days without buying to to see if you like it or not. I'd probably download it from this page (so that you're getting the latest 2.0.2.10 update with the latest bug fixes and camera profiles), as I don't know if the download link from the main product page points to the newest version or not:

http://www.aftershotpro.com/en/support/updates/

Here's an old "webinar" that goes into many AfterShot Pro features. It's based on an older 1.x version of AfterShot Pro, but many of the same things still apply to the recently released AfterShot Pro 2.0. That way (spending some time watching the webinar), you'll have a better idea of it's many features are for and what you can do with it, since it's so full featured that what you can use it for is not obvious at first glance. Just make sure to click on the gear icon and use the 720p resolution so that you're able to see the screen text better (as otherwise, it can be hard to see the AfterShot Pro menu text when watching this youtube video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i633ZBya9Fc

They've got plenty of newer videos, too. But, I'd suggest watching that long video for starters before spending any time with the product, as it is the best one they have for letting you know more about what the product is capable of (IMO, anyway). Yea, it's long. But, you'll save time getting to know the product if you take the time to watch it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:35 PM   #4

OK

I made it through the whole video.

It is a very capable processing and storage program. It appears to be much more capable then Aperture when you consider all the additional options written into the program.

The webinar moved a little too fast for me to understand all the features. The ASPs demonstrated workflow during this webinar used a much more complicated workflow then Im used to. A lot of the features I could identify with, they look just like Aperture's. The other features appear more like an Adobe feature used in PSE. I use PSE for some applications but never learned a lot of the tools before I started using Aperture for the majority of my editing and storage.

Thats one of the beautiful features of Aperture is the simplicity of it. Probably it's best feature.

The working screen looks cluttered compared to what Im used to which adds to the confusion.

Here is the basic working screen I use.
The scrolling editing options along one side and the brush, crop and stamp tools at the bottom. No clutter and a big image. Nice.
Attached Images

Last edited by lomitamike; Jul 7, 2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:49 PM   #5

Although I have not used ASP yet. From what I see in the demo it looks better then LR.

Thanks for the recommendation Jim.

Last edited by lomitamike; Jul 7, 2014 at 12:55 PM.