Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:55 AM   #1
csd

Default Adobe DNG Converter

I recently upgraded to the Nikon D7100 DSLR. I'm still using Photoshop CS5 and since I'm an occasional user - I really don't want to subscribe to CC. CS5 suits my needs. The last version of Camera Raw compatible with CS5 was 6.7 which does NOT include a raw converter for the D7100. My options seem to be:
1) Bite the bullet and subscribe to CC. Since I'm this is a hobby for me and I only use PS a couple of times a month this seems a foolish investment. CS5 does everything I need.
2) Stop using RAW and go back to JPEG. The lossiness of JPEG may leave me unhappy however.
3) Use Adobe DNG Converter 7.4 to convert all my RAW files to Adobe's DNG format.
Questions:
1) Are the above my only options? (would another option be buying lightroom and using it as a converter?).
2) With options 3 above - converting from RAW to DNG - what am I losing? I'm tempted to save original RAW and converted DNG files but this doubles the storage required.

Thanks in advance for any advise.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:49 PM   #2

Getting Lightroom would work, plus you get an excellent organizer. It will also work well with CS5, you can go back and forth between the two easily.

There are also other raw converters, some expensive, some reasonably priced and some free. I've used DxO, and found that it handles files differently than LR and ACR. There are others, but I haven't tried them.

As far as using Adobe Raw Converter to convert your files to DNG, I haven't used it in a long time, but when I did I didn't see any difference between the raw file and the resulting DNG file. I did keep both files, just in case Adobe quit supporting the format. Yes, it takes more memory, but memory isn't particularly expensive at this point.

So if it were me, I would try Lightroom and another raw converterlike DxO or Picasa or some of the others I've heard of but can't think of any more, and decide which one you like better. I would not go back to shooting jpg, especially if you are comfortable with raw. One nice thing about Lightroom is that you can take a raw plus jpg and then look at both of them side by side. You can keyword your files to make it easier to find specific or related pictures later on.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:02 AM   #3

If not upgrading to CC, Adobe DNG converter works well. I used it before I upgraded to LR5, but LR5 is great and worth the $.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:40 PM   #4
csd

mntgal and paniolo - thanks for the feedback.
I think I will look at purchasing LR5 - at this point - it might have 90% of the things I do in CS5 anyway. My prior workflow was to use Picasso as my organizer and do a right-click right over to CS5 - I've never been a Lightroom user.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote